Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is one of the benefits available to people on a low income to help with rent payments.

If you pay rent for your home, you may be entitled to help with rent payments from either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Most working age people now need to claim their housing costs through Universal Credit.

However, some people still need to claim Housing Benefit for help with their rent.

If you claim Housing Benefit, you may also get help with your council tax bill. You should also make a claim for Council Tax Support.

Also see


West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551556

Benefits appointments

Contact us for an appointment to get benefits advice in person at West Offices.

Make an appointment

Sign language interpreting service

If you use British Sign Language (BSL) you can access our BSL interpreting service when visiting West Offices, and when contacting us remotely.

BSL Interpreting Service