Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Benefit cap

There's a limit to the total amount of benefit you can claim when you're of working age - this is known as the benefit cap.

If the benefit cap affects you, your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit will be reduced so that your weekly income is no higher than the current cap levels.

The level of the cap is set by the government, see current benefit cap amounts.

Extra help if you're struggling to cope financially

If the benefit cap affects you and you're finding it difficult to cope financially, we may be able to help you in the short term.

You may be able to apply for a:

If you're struggling advice and support is available. If you're a council tenant you can speak to your Housing Management Officer.

Top of page

If you think the benefit cap should not apply to you

Call the benefit cap helpline for advice if you, your partner or any children you're responsible for receive one or more benefits unaffected by the cap, and you think the cap shouldn't apply to you.

Top of page

Stop the benefit cap applying to you

If you find work, you may be able to get Working Tax Credit and this could mean the benefit cap won’t apply to you.

Contact Jobcentre Plus to make an appointment to see a work coach.

Top of page

Also see

Benefits appointments

Contact us for an appointment to get benefits advice in person at West Offices.

Make an appointment