Council Tax Support (CTS) is a 'means tested' discount off your council tax bill. It replaced Council Tax Benefit on 1 April 2013.
How much Council Tax Support you get is based on your household income and savings, so you are likely to qualify if you are on welfare benefits or a low income. If your savings exceed £16,000, you will not be eligible unless you receive Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.
Council Tax Support could give you a maximum discount of:
- 77.5% if you are of working age
- 100% if you are of Pension Credit age
See our Council Tax Support Scheme 2018-19 for more information.
Apply for Council Tax Support
If you live in the City of York Council area, use this online form to:
- see how much Council Tax Support you could get if you are the person responsible for paying council tax for the home you live in
- see how much Housing Benefit you could get if you rent your home
- find out if you're entitled to Income Support, Pension Credit or Tax Credit
If you need help making a claim, contact our Benefits team for assistance and advice.
Change of circumstances for Council Tax Support
You must report any change in circumstances which may affect the amount of Council Tax Support you receive.
Any increase or reduction to your Council Tax Support will take effect from the day you tell us the change took place. We will send you an amended council tax bill confirming any adjustments we have made.