Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Claim Housing Benefit

Make a claim for Housing Benefit if you need help paying your rent.

Most working-age people now have to claim Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), which includes help with housing costs if you pay rent.

You'll still have to claim Council Tax Support from us.

Who can claim Housing Benefit

Check if you're entitled to Housing Benefit.

You can complete a Housing Benefit claim form on someone else's behalf, if they need help with this.

Making your claim for Housing Benefit

Use our online form for a quick and easy way to make a claim - we'll tell you whether you should be claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Your application is in three parts:

  • the calculator tells you what you may be entitled to
  • the claim form
  • the evidence checklist confirms the proofs of ID you need to provide

Print off or save your evidence checklist after you submit your application.

Start or return to claim

Use our online form also to:

If you're claiming Pension Credit, fill in the attached HCTB1 form and return it to us.

New Housing Benefit payments

You have one month to provide any relevant evidence once we've received your new Housing Benefit claim.

We aim to process your claim within 2 to 4 weeks of receiving your proofs.

We won't pay any Housing Benefit and we'll close your claim if you fail to provide the necessary evidence within one month.

Housing Benefit entitlement date

Your Housing Benefit entitlement begins from the Monday following your claim date.

If you delay returning your claim form, you could risk losing benefit.

Housing Benefit and the benefit cap

We'll let you know if your Housing Benefit claim will be subject to the benefit cap due to the Welfare Reform Act 2012.

You may receive a reduced level of Housing Benefit than the one quoted in your online calculation, if this applies.

If you have a change of circumstances

Make sure you tell us if your circumstances change, as this could affect your entitlement to certain benefits.

Also see

Benefits appointments

Contact us for an appointment to get benefits advice in person at West Offices.

Make an appointment