To report an emergency (fire, flood, criminal act, or circumstances posing risk to public health and safety) that requires immediate attention 'out of hours' (after 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, or between 3.00pm Friday and 8.30am Monday), telephone: 01904 551550.
We maintain and repair:
- street lights (including steel and concrete posts)
- illuminated signs, bollards and beacons
- flood lights around the City Walls
- flashing school signs
See which street lighting problems we can't help with.
Report a street lighting problem
Don't touch or interfere with damaged or faulty electrical equipment as it can cause serious injury, or death - report street lighting problems to us.
We’ll check the street lighting fault during daylight hours and aim to ‘fix first visit’; see our street lighting response times.
To report a problem with street lighting tell us:
- street light number
- street name
- details of location (for example, 'outside house number 2')
- information about the problem (for example, 'not working', 'on at wrong time', 'damaged')
Our response to street lighting problems
When you report a street lighting problem our action depends on the fault:
- urgent faults will be repaired or made safe within 2 hours
- normal faults will be repaired or made safe within 4 working days
Any street lighting problems we’ve ‘made safe’ will be repaired within 20 working days.
If we’re working with a utility company to resolve problems (such as issues with the electricity supply), we'll complete repairs within 35 working days, which is the national standard.
Our street lighting responsibilities
We can't help with street lighting problems on privately owned land, NHS or library property and ‘unadopted roads’.
As part of our ongoing Carbon Reduction Programme, when we install new lights across the city we aim to:
- decrease our carbon footprint
- reduce our energy bills
- improve lighting (replacing traditional lamps with brighter white light)
Request a new street light
Contact your ward Community Involvement Officer to request a new street light.
Note: Check our street lighting responsibilities beforehand.