Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Travel and transport

Request a new pedestrian crossing

Contact the Transport Systems Team if there's a road safety problem you think a new pedestrian crossing or traffic signal (traffic light) could solve.

There's no cost to make a request, but we can't guarantee that it'll be implemented.

We assess requests very carefully because:

  • new signals may reduce accidents
  • new signals could help reduce delays, for example, where side roads have no priority to join heavy flows
  • we need to check government regulations before we can install new traffic signals
  • all signals cause delays to traffic
  • not all sites are appropriate for formal (signalised) crossing facilities

Requests for new pedestrian crossings

Request a new crossing, or an improvement to an existing crossing, by completing a pedestrian/cyclist crossing application form.

Submit your completed form to the Transport Systems Team, who will consider requests for the following types of formal and informal crossings:

Formal crossings

  • zebra crossings
  • puffin crossings
  • toucan crossings

Informal crossings

  • dropped kerb crossings (to help wheelchair or mobility scooter users and people with pushchairs)
  • kerb build-outs (to reduce crossing distance)
  • central refuge crossings (to enable roads to be crossed in two stages)

The decision as to which type of pedestrian crossing is appropriate will depend on many factors, including both pedestrian and vehicle flow and the delay that pedestrians and/or cyclists experience when crossing the road; the crossing delay should be significant and extend over a reasonable part of the day.

Crossing improvements will require Executive Member approval and funding to be identified. The whole process can take up to 6 months, but will depend on how many other requests we're considering at that time.

Also see