To discourage vehicles from parking across entrances to driveways and garages, you can apply to have a white line painted on the road called an 'H-Bar carriageway marking'.
This marking highlights the presence of a dropped kerb entrance and informs the driver access is required.
Parking enforcement powers enable us to issue a penalty charge notice if a vehicle is parked across the entrance to your driveway, even if there are no yellow lines or a white bar marking in place.
New H-Bar markings
To apply for an H-Bar carriageway marking, please complete and return a New H-Bar application form.
- markings are not permitted if yellow lines are already present
- markings are painted on the carriageway across the dropped kerb and for approximately 1 metre either side - this helps to prevent vehicles parking too close to your access point
- markings will not be provided on the opposite side of the carriageway outside another resident's property
- markings are only provided if a dropped kerb exists for the purpose of vehicle access to a private property
- if the dropped kerb extends across 2 driveway entrances, written consent will be required from neighbours
- the applicant is responsible for the full cost of the application
Refresh existing H-Bar markings
If your existing H-Bar marking is faded or worn, you can apply to have it repainted. Please complete and return a Refresh existing H-Bar application form.
Costs for H-Bar markings
There is a charge to have an H-Bar marking painted on the road outside your house:
- new markings: £125
- refreshed markings: £79
You will receive an invoice for the work if your application is successful.
Please note that it can take several weeks for the H-Bar to be painted on the road. Timescales are available on application.
- we will contact you within 10 working days to acknowledge receipt of your application
- if you have not heard from us within 10 working days please contact us to check the status of your application