Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

We enforce parking restrictions in the York area and take action against people who park in or adjacent to:

We can issue a parking ticket (PCN) for each of these offences.

Report illegal parking

Please be aware that we only have limited ability to patrol in areas where there are no restrictions.

Report a problem as soon as possible if you see a vehicle:

To report a vehicle which is parked illegally call our Parking Hotline on telephone: 0800 1381119.

  • the parking hotline is free of charge from landlines (and some mobiles - check with your provider)
  • details are recorded by an operator and passed to our parking enforcement team
  • we aim to respond to all calls within 45 minutes
  • the parking hotline operates from 8.00am to 9.00pm, every day

To report an illegally parked vehicle which is causing an obstruction or hazard outside of the hours when our hotline operates, call the police on 101.

Dropped kerbs

We can enforce dropped kerbs even where no restrictions are in place, if a vehicle parks where the pavement, cycle track or verge has been adjusted to assist:

  • pedestrians crossing
  • cyclists entering or leaving the road
  • vehicles entering or leaving the road across a path, cycle track or verge

PCNs for dropped kerb offences

We may be able to issue a PCN in the following circumstances:

  • driveways - if a vehicle is parked across a dropped kerb and causing an obstruction to a resident's driveway (we ask the resident before we issue a PCN)
  • shared driveways - if a vehicle is causing an obstruction to a shared driveway (access to a public building)and we get a report via our parking hotline number (enforcement officers will use their discretion if approached by the property owner)
  • pedestrian dropped kerbs - if a vehicle is causing an obstruction and there is no 'exemption' (such as: emergency services, those alighting and unloading, undertaking building works, road works vehicles and waste collection vehicles)

Pavement parking and other serious parking offences

There are certain serious parking offences that we don't have legal powers to deal with. Contact the Police on 101 for help with:

  • dangerous parking
  • parking that is causing a serious obstruction
  • parked vehicles blocking the footway, verge or preventing passage

Also see

Parking Services

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551309

Traffic Management Team

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551550