Streets, roads and pavements

Dropped kerbs and vehicle access

'Dropped kerbs' and 'crossovers' help vehicles access properties where an entrance point is adjacent to a pavement.

Apply for a dropped kerb

If you wish to have a new dropped kerb installed at your property, or make improvements to an existing access point, you'll need permission from us and must complete the relevant application:

Return your application to the Streetworks team, along with a plan showing the preferred location of the proposed crossing.

Please note:

  • we'll endeavour to process your application within 28 days
  • permission lasts for 12 months
  • you must use a contractor approved by us to carry out these works
  • we'll provide details of approved contractors on successful application

Dropped kerb application fees

If permission is granted, we'll send you an invoice for £180, which is non-refundable.

If permission is refused, we'll send you an invoice for the refused application administration charge, which is £48 and which is non-refundable.

Do not enclose any payment with your application.

How we process your application

We require time to process and consider your application before it can be granted.

In this case:

  • you can't assume permission will be given
  • we'll contact you within 28 days to acknowledge receipt of your application

You can't act as if your application has been granted if we don't respond within expected timeframes.

If you haven't heard from us within 28 days, please contact us to check the status of your application.

Also see

Streetworks Team

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551435