Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Streets, roads and pavements

Dropped kerbs and vehicle access

Terms and conditions of dropped kerbs

We, as the local highway authority and under Section 184 of the Highways Act 1980, have the power to grant permission for a vehicle crossing to be constructed, enabling a motorised vehicle to drive over a kerbed footway or verge.

Before we can approve your application, you must read the terms and conditions:

  • an approved application will cost £219
  • a refused application will cost £54
  • the parking space (within your own property) for your vehicle must have a depth of 6 metres (at approximate right angles to the road) by a width of 2.5m - a depth of 5.5m may be accepted if the required area is not near any doors, windows, garage, porch, bays or utility cabinets
  • we'll not allow any vehicle crossing where the depth of the frontage parking space is less than 5.5m
  • the standard length of low kerbs is 3 low kerbs and 2 dropped kerbs (2.75m)
  • the maximum length of low kerbs is 5 low kerbs and 2 dropped kerbs (4.5m)
  • the standard length of low kerbs if sharing with a neighbour is 8 low kerbs and 2 dropped kerbs (7.2m) with 4 low kerbs in front of each property
  • the Highways Act 1980 Section 161, it is an offence for a person to deposit materials on the Highway - if you decide to proceed with the use of gravel/stones as a vehicle hard standing, a 2m apron is required adjacent to the Public Highway to prevent any gravel/stones/debris being deposited onto the Public Highway
  • the proposed parking area must not drain onto the Public Highway (Highways Act 1980 Section 163 (b) - prevention) - if the proposed parking area slopes/drains towards the Public Highway, a drainage channel will need to be installed to drain water away from the Public Highway
  • the position of the vehicle crossing must be in a safe position and have adequate visibility
  • a vehicle crossing is likely to be refused that interferes with bus stops, pedestrian crossings; disabled or resident parking bays, mature trees or is in a lay-by
  • you must show control of the land from your property to the Public Highway - sometimes there will be a gap between the two which may belong to others (i.e. common land, parish council, district council)
  • to carry out the works you must use a contractor that meets the following criteria
    • contractors must provide proof of their Public Liability Insurance (minimum of £5 million)
    • contractors must provide proof of the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) Accreditation (Supervisor and Operative)
    • contractors must ensure all operatives carry their NRSWA cards on site at all times
    • contractors must be compliant with The New roads and Streetworks Act when working within the highway
  • the cost of your vehicle crossing may prove expensive if there is statutory undertaker's apparatus (gas, electric, water and so on) to lower or relocate - you may be able to identify whether there will be a likely problem by looking at whether there are any covers or gullies in the path of your proposed crossing
  • if the vehicle crossing is in an area where there is residents' parking, you need to be aware that legally you will not be able to stop someone parking across your drive unless you apply for the legal order for the lines to be amended which is costly with no guarantee of success

There is no automatic right for someone to install a vehicle crossing and this policy describes how applications for new or improved vehicle crossings will be considered by the highway authority. We'll consider applications against this policy.

In determining whether to grant permission for a dropped kerb, we must consider:

  • the need to prevent damage to the highway, including footways or verges;
  • the need to ensure safe access to and from the property; and
  • the need to allow the passage of traffic (all modes, including pedestrians and cyclists) on the highway

The highway authority will also consider the impact of applications on publicly available parking (for example on street parking, resident parking area, etc).

Also see