Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Streets, roads and pavements

Dropped kerbs and vehicle access

Apply for a dropped kerb

If you wish to have a new dropped kerb installed at your property, or make improvements to an existing access point, you'll need permission from us and must complete the relevant application:

Make sure to have the following ready to use with your application

  • written consent from the property owner
  • a sketch of your plan, including measurements (detailed)
  • a copy of any relevant planning permission, if required

You cannot assume permission will be given. If you have not heard from us within 28 working days, contact us to check the status of your application.

Apply for a dropped kerb

If you and your neighbour are applying for a shared dropped kerb, you both need to apply for a new vehicle crossing separately. Both of you will need to answer yes on the question stating, ‘Is this application for one property?’ Where permitting, the inspector will approve for a shared access following site attendance. There is an additional admin fee of £55 for an additional crossing, on top of the initial fee's for the original application.

Dropped kerb application fees

If permission is granted, we'll send you an invoice for £204, which is non-refundable.

If permission is refused, we'll send you an invoice for the refused application administration charge, which is £50 and which is non-refundable.

Redundant vehicle crossings

Any existing vehicle crossing that becomes redundant following the construction of a new/improved crossing must be removed, with the footway or verge reinstated at the applicant’s cost.

If a crossing is no longer performing its function due to a new fence or building preventing a vehicle from being able to park off the highway (to minimum dimensions above), it should be removed at the owner’s cost.

Also see