Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Housing Management Officers

Housing Management Officers (HMOs) offer help for council tenants and help for tenant within independent living schemes; they provide support related to all aspects of housing and money management, including:

  • moving in
  • rent payments
  • arrears recovery
  • tenancy management issues (such as neighbour nuisance)
  • monitoring safety and security
  • signposting to other agencies

Our HMO's aren't able to help with housing repairs - see who is responsible for council house repairs.

Contacting your Housing Management Officer

You can contact your Housing Management Officer using our Open Housing portal.

Housing Management Officers for council tenants

HMOs are 'estate-based'; working within a particular area, they provide housing management services to council tenants.

HMO work closely with residents, community groups, and other agencies to resolve issues and improve where you live, they will:

  • ensure that rent arrears are addressed to minimise tenant debt
  • ensure that empty properties are re-let as quickly as possible
  • proactively investigate complex complaints of anti-social behaviour
  • ensure that problems are addressed as quickly as possible

Housing Management Officers for tenants of independent living schemes

HMOs offer support to tenants in independent living schemes; they're based on site for up to 24 hours per week, Monday to Friday.

If you need emergency help at any time, press your personal alarm pendant or pull cord located around your home to telephone your HMO during their working day.

Telecare equipment is also available in communal areas.

If you need help outside of your HMO working hours, Be Independent (our community alarm service) will answer your call.

They can help you by:

  • alerting the emergency services
  • contacting your doctor
  • contacting a relative or friend
  • offering you advice and information
  • coming to your home to offer help

HMO support when you move into an independent living scheme

Find out about community facilities available in our independent living schemes.

Your HMO will request your personal information (in case of an emergency) and keep it confidentially. Where possible, they'll ask your permission before sharing this information.

They'll also complete a support plan with you, which will identify your current level of independence and signpost you to further support if needed.

Support plans are reviewed every 12 months, but please talk to your HMO if your needs change at any time.

How HMO help independent living tenants

Within independent living schemes HMO duties include:

  • helping you settle in
  • explaining how everything works
  • providing a welfare monitoring check, if required
  • responding to emergencies
  • making referrals for medical help
  • reporting repairs in communal areas
  • helping tenants liaise with other services, such as care providers and repair contractors
  • carrying out health and safety checks, such as testing communal and fire alarms

HMO don't:

  • provide care such as washing, dressing, or preparing meals (but can help you contact support agencies for this)
  • look after money or valuables - there are strict instructions in place to avoid this
  • cook meals
  • provide medical help

Also see