Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Independent living

We provide a range of accommodation across the city for older people who want to continue to live independently, but with the knowledge that as their needs change, support is available.

There are 2 kinds of independent living schemes in York:

  • independent living
  • independent living with 24 hour support

Unlike a nursing home, tenants in these schemes live largely independently with:

  • their own private accommodation
  • a 24-hour alarm system
  • a Housing Management Officer on site for part of the week, offering drop in sessions or appointments for advice on housing issues and access to additional support

Each private house has personal living areas, a kitchen, a bathroom and a bedroom. Family and friends can visit at any time. Some schemes offer a fully furnished guest room; this is available on a casual basis for a small charge.

Tenants can influence how the schemes are run, as well as the activities held in their community facilities.

See advice for independent living tenants for information about security, repairs, paying rent and ending a tenancy.

Other housing options

Speak to our Older Persons Housing Advisor for York, about any aspect of housing options for people aged 60 and over, including:

  • staying in your current home
  • making your home better fit your needs
  • getting support or adaptions in your own home
  • moving to alternative or specialist accommodation

Also see

Housing Registrations Team

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 554044

Older People Housing Advisor

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 554095