You may be able to claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • are a tenant
  • have shared ownership with a housing association or a rental purchase scheme
  • are on a low or modest income
  • have other housing costs, such as site charges for mobile homes and caravans, or mooring fees for houseboats

How we calculate Housing Benefit

We work out your Housing Benefit by looking at your:

  • personal circumstances (for example, if you have a partner or children who live with you)
  • household income and savings

The lower your income, the more help you could get.

If you receive Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, you will be entitled to full Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support regardless of your savings.

Not eligible for Housing Benefit

You may not be able to claim Housing Benefit if:

  • you live with and pay rent to a close relative
  • you're a full time student
  • you have savings over £16,000
  • if you are a 'person from abroad'

Housing Benefit does not cover mortgage repayments. You may get help with mortgage repayments from the Pension Service or Jobcentre Plus if you claim Pension Credit, Income Support, Jobseekers' Allowance or Universal Credit.

Also see

Comment on this page