Update about recycling collections
For the safety of our staff and customers, and to help minimise the spread of coronavirus, we’re adapted some of our services - find out about changes to how we collect recycling.
Collecting recycling from the kerbside
We provide kerbside recycling collections to all households:
- every fortnight on alternate weeks to household waste collections
- put your boxes out ready for collection between 7.00pm on the day before collection and 7.00am on your collection day
- check your collection dates using our online waste collection calendar
How we collect recycling
Separate your recycling into these three types and place in the correct box:
- plastic, tins and cans (metal)
- paper and cardboard
See further information about what you can recycle at the kerbside.
Recycling in York
Find out about how we manage recycling in York.
Missed recycling collections
If we haven't collected your recycling, check:
- your boxes contain only the correct items
- your boxes were put out at your collection point before 7.00am
- whether we have left a sticker explaining there was a problem
If none of these apply, we'll collect any excess and additional recycling at your next scheduled collection.
Alternatively, take your recycling to one of our recycling sites:
See further information about missed waste collections.
Recycling for flats
If you live in a flat, you may have:
- shared or communal recycling bins (kept outside in a bin store), or
- your own individual recycling boxes
Check what's available to you using our online collection calendar.
Please don't leave bags of recycling next to communal bins.
Recycling for rural properties
If you live in a more remote or rural part of the city, you may only have recycling collections for:
- plastic bottles/metal cans
Check which collections are available to you using our online waste collection calendar.
Recycling with St. Nick's
Contact St. Nick's to request a recycling box if you're eligible for their recycling collections.