Please note that Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC is closed every Wednesday
Location map of Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC
Before you visit Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC, please note:
- we only accept 'non-chargeable' household waste (see Hazel Court HWRC for brick, rubble, gas bottles, plasterboard and asbestos disposal)
- you're not allowed to use this site for commercial waste
- there is a 1.9 metre height barrier in use at this site (please use Hazel Court HWRC if your vehicle is taller)
Waste disposal at Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC
You can recycle/dispose of the following items:
- paper, cardboard, cartons
- metal cans/tins
- glass bottles and jars
- hard plastic (e.g. toys, garden furniture)
- textiles, clothes, shoes
- garden waste, turf
- electrical equipment, fluorescent tubes, fridges, freezers
- household batteries
- car batteries
- wood, scrap metal
- car oil
- chemicals, paint (household only)
- general landfill waste
We cannot accept:
- pesticides and chemicals from farms or industry
- asbestos, bricks, rubble, gas bottles, plasterboard - 'chargeable' waste which must be taken to Hazel Court HWRC for disposal
- porcelain bathroom suites - we class this as (non-chargeable) 'rubble' and must be taken to Hazel Court HWRC for disposal
If you are in doubt about which items you can bring, please contact us before visiting the site.
Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC opening hours
- March: 8.30am to 5.00pm
- April to September: 8.30am to 7.00pm
- October: 8.30am to 5.00pm
- November to February: 8.30am to 4.00pm
Please note that the site is closed every Wednesday.
Access to Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC
- last entry is 15 minutes before closing time; if you arrive later you may be refused entry
- the height barrier for this site is 1.9 metres
- we don't allow pedestrian access to this site
- we are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day
- we are open on all other Bank Holidays, but it can be very busy at these times
Permits for larger vehicles at Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC
If you're a resident bringing your own household waste to the site in a van, vehicle with trailer or other large vehicle (for example, 4x4 with pick up, minibus, campervan), you will need to apply for a booklet of free permits to access the site.
You should allow 10 days for us to process your application and for your permits to arrive by post.
We allow one booklet of permits per household per year.
If you're a resident and wish to visit Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC using a hire vehicle, you'll need to bring the following:
- hire vehicle documents
- proof of your address and residency (for example, a utility bill with your name and address)
Please note: there is no need to contact us before your visit.