You must maintain social distancing measures if you visit Towthorpe and Strensall Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC), and must only travel to the HWRC if it is essential to do so. See information about visiting the tip safely.
Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC opening hours
The site is closed every Wednesday.
- March: 8.30am to 5.00pm
- April to September: 8.30am to 7.00pm
- October: 8.30am to 5.00pm
- November to February: 8.30am to 4.00pm
We're closed on:
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
- New Year's Day
We're open as usual on all other Bank Holidays, but it can be very busy at these times.
Location map of Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC
Before visiting Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC, be aware that:
- we only accept 'non-chargeable' household waste (see Hazel Court HWRC for brick, rubble, gas bottles, plasterboard and asbestos disposal)
- you can't use this site for commercial waste
- there's a 1.9 metre height barrier in use at this site (use Hazel Court HWRC if your vehicle is taller)
Access to Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC
Be aware that:
- last entry is 15 minutes before closing time - if you arrive later, we may refuse you entry
- the height barrier for this site is 1.9 metres
- we don't allow pedestrian access to this site
Bringing hire vehicles to Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC
If you live in York and wish to visit Towthorpe and Strensall HWRC using a hire vehicle, you should bring:
- hire vehicle documents
- proof of your address and residency (for example: a utility bill with your name and address)
Note: There's no need to contact us before your visit.