You must maintain social distancing measures if you visit Towthorpe/Strensall Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC); see information about visiting the tip safely.
Location map of Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC
Before visiting Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC, be aware that:
- we only accept 'non-chargeable' household waste (see Hazel Court HWRC for brick, rubble, gas bottles, plasterboard and asbestos disposal)
- you can't use this site for commercial waste
- there's a 1.9 metre height barrier in use at this site (use Hazel Court HWRC if your vehicle is taller)
Waste disposal at Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC
Recycle/dispose of the following items at Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC:
- paper, cardboard, cartons
- metal cans/tins
- glass bottles and jars
- hard plastic (e.g. toys, garden furniture)
- textiles, clothes, shoes
- garden waste, turf
- electrical equipment, fluorescent tubes, fridges, freezers
- household batteries
- car batteries
- wood, scrap metal
- car oil
- chemicals, paint (household only)
- general landfill waste
We can't accept:
- pesticides and chemicals from farms or industry
- printer cartridges
- asbestos, bricks, rubble, gas bottles, plasterboard - 'chargeable' waste must be taken to Hazel Court HWRC
- porcelain bathroom suites - we class this as (non-chargeable) 'rubble' which must be taken to Hazel Court HWRC
Contact us before visiting the site if you're in any doubt about which items you can bring.
Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC opening hours
The site is closed every Wednesday.
- March: 8.30am to 5.00pm
- April to September: 8.30am to 7.00pm
- October: 8.30am to 5.00pm
- November to February: 8.30am to 4.00pm
We're closed on:
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
- New Year's Day
We're open as usual on all other Bank Holidays, but it can be very busy at these times.
Access to Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC
Be aware that:
- last entry is 15 minutes before closing time - if you arrive later, we may refuse you entry
- the height barrier for this site is 1.9 metres
- we don't allow pedestrian access to this site
Permits for larger vehicles at Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC
Apply for a booklet of free permits to access the site if you live in York and you're bringing your own household waste to the site in a:
- pickups or 4 x 4 with a pickup
- transit vans or small vans
- box or Luton vans
- minibuses or campervans
- all trailers
Some vehicles have restrictions on which site you can use. This information will be provided with your permits.
The maximum trailer size that will be permitted is 1.82m x 1.2m. Larger trailers are permitted at Hazel Court HWRC)
These permits are not for commercial waste disposal.
Allow 10 working days for us to process your application and your permits to arrive by post.
We only allow one booklet of permits per household per year. You will need to submit a new application if you require a new booklet of permits.
Contact us if you:
- change your vehicle, or
- have lost or damaged your permit book
Bringing hire vehicles to Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC
If you live in York and wish to visit Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC using a hire vehicle, you should bring:
- hire vehicle documents
- proof of your address and residency (for example: a utility bill with your name and address)
Note: There's no need to contact us before your visit.