What can I recycle?

We collect recycling in 3 main types:

  • plastic bottles, tins and cans (metal)
  • paper and cardboard
  • glass

Please separate your recycling into these types using the recycling boxes provided.

Find out how to get a new or replacement waste container.

Plastic bottles

You can recycle any size or colour of plastic bottles (with lids) but not any other type of plastic container.

Yes please:

  • milk, water, fruit juice, squash, fizzy drinks bottles
  • probiotic drink bottles (not pots)
  • detergent and fabric conditioner bottles
  • household cleaning bottles (including toilet cleaner and bleach)
  • toiletry bottles including make-up/cleanser, shampoo, conditioner and bubble bath bottles

No thanks:

  • 'mixed' plastic e.g. plastic food wrapping, food trays, margarine tubs, yogurt pots, toys; these should be placed in your landfill bin

Metal tins and cans

You can recycle all metal food and drinks cans (steel and aluminium). You don't need to remove labels, but please wash them out before recycling.

Yes please:

  • food tins (tuna, soup, pet food)
  • drinks cans
  • sweet tins, biscuit tins and metal lids
  • baby milk tins (no plastic lids or scoops)
  • hairspray, deodorant, shaving foam aerosols

No thanks:

  • aluminium foil and foil trays
  • baking trays, metal utensils, coat hangers, cutlery
  • paint tins

You can take other metal items to either Hazel Court HWRC or Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC for recycling in the scrap metal skips.

Paper and cardboard

Yes please:

  • egg boxes
  • newspapers/magazines, telephone directories, catalogues/brochures (with staples removed)
  • junk mail/leaflets (with staples removed), white/coloured paper, all envelopes (with plastic windows removed where applicable)
  • greetings cards, non-foil gift wrapping paper, clean paper bags
  • cereal boxes, ready meal boxes
  • kitchen/toilet roll tubes, tissue boxes
  • card sleeves from food packaging

Very large boxes should be flattened and broken down into smaller pieces and placed inside or underneath your recycling box.

Very large quantities of cardboard or unbroken boxes should be taken to your local recycling bank or Household Waste Recycling Centre.

No thanks:

  • all types of cartons (e.g. soup, chopped tomatoes, custard, fabric conditioner)
  • waxed paper coffee/tea cups
  • books

To find your nearest carton recycling bank, please use the recycling bank locator.


Many households (apart from rural/remote properties) can recycle glass bottles and jars from home; we accept any colour of glass bottle or jar. Please rinse these out first, especially food jars.

To find your nearest glass recycling bank, please use the recycling bank locator.

Yes please:

  • any colour or size of glass bottle, e.g. wine, beer, spirits, juice, perfume, vinegar
  • any colour or size of glass jar, e.g. sauce, jam/marmalade, baby food, pickles, condiments

No thanks:

  • window glass
  • drinking glasses and cookware/Pyrex dishes
  • light bulbs, mirror glass

Please dispose of these types of glass safely in your general household waste bin.

Our Household Waste Recycling Centres

Check which items you can take to your nearest recycling centre (Hazel Court HWRC or Towthorpe/Strensall HWRC) that aren’t suitable for recycling via our kerbside collections.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page