You can apply for a commercial parking permit if your work means you need to visit residential or business premises within a residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) zone.
You can apply for a permit which covers either 1 specific parking zone or all resident parking zones.
There is a seperate form and fee structure for employees of St. Paul's Nursery or St. Paul's CE Primary School.
A maximum of 1 commercial parking permit is allowed per business.
Apply for a commercial parking permit
Parking permits must be paid for before you complete the relevant application form; check how much you need to pay for your permit (employees of St. Paul's Nursery or St. Paul's CE Primary School should check the R60 zone application form for the correct fee).
You’ll be given a receipt number (starting ‘ZZ’) which you must include on your application form, to avoid a delay in receiving your permit.
- Commercial parking permit application form
- Commercial parking permit application form - R60 zone (to be completed by employees of St. Paul's Nursery or St. Paul's CE Primary School only)
Post your completed application form, together with any required evidence, to:FREEPOST RTEG-TYYU-KLTZ
City of York Council
Using your commercial parking permit
Map of all ResPark zones
You can zoom in on the map to view the locations of residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) zones in York.
Click on individual zones to see more details.
Use the map search bar to search by postcode or street name to see which ResPark zone (or zones) you require access to.
Cost of commercial parking permits
You can have a permit for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. The cost of your permit depends on how long you want the permit for.
There are different charges depending on whether you wish to park in just 1 ResPark zone, or all ResPark zones.
Commercial parking permit discounts
There are 2 different rates available depending on the level of emissions that your vehicle produces and the size of your vehicle.
You may be eligible for a discount dependent on your vehicle type:
- short car parking discounts are available if your car is shorter than 2.7 metres in length
- low emission parking discounts are available for electric/LPG powered cars and cars with emissions up to 120g/km2 (vehicle tax bands A-C)
You can find vehicle tax information on a new or used car online from the Vehicle Certification Agency.
You'll be charged the standard rate for any vehicles which don't qualify for the discounted rate.
Changes to your vehicle details
If you're receiving a short car or low emission discount then your permit will be vehicle-specific.
This means that any change to your vehicle details will require a replacement permit, regardless of whether the new vehicle is also eligible for a discount.
You'll need to:
- return your permit before a replacement can be issued
- include a letter explaining why you're returning your permit
- provide the new vehicle details
- include the vehicle registration document relating to the new vehicle (if the new vehicle is eligible for a discount)
- make a top-up payment for the remaining period of cover (if the new vehicle is not eligible for a discount)
- include a covering letter from the lease company or your employer confirming that you are allowed to use the vehicle (if the new vehicle is a lease/company vehicle)
The replacement will be issued with the same expiry date as the previous permit. Please allow 10 working days for receipt.
Until you receive your replacement permit, you'll be unable to park your new vehicle within the ResPark zone.
If you come in to our Customer Centre a new one can be issued to you then and there so you won't have to wait for a replacement.
If you want to update your permit in person, please ensure that you bring:
- your old permit
- any required documents
- a method of payment (if applicable)
Cancelling your commercial parking permit
You can cancel your parking permit at any time, and you'll be issued with a pro-rata refund for any time remaining on the permit.