Businesses in most residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) zones can apply for a business parking permit.
The permit can be used by any member of staff or visitor who has to use their vehicle for business purposes.
To qualify the business must:
- pay business rates directly to the council for a business within a ResPark zone
- have no off street parking at the property (this includes space that is being used for purposes other than parking)
- not be living at the business (if you do live at the premises, you may be entitled to a household permit)
Only one permit will be issued per property and no visitor parking permits are allowed.
Apply for a business parking permit
Parking permits must be paid for before you complete the relevant application form; check how much you need to pay for your permit.
You’ll be given a receipt number (starting ‘ZZ’) which you must include on your business parking permit application form, to avoid a delay in receiving your permit.
Email your completed application form, together with any required evidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to:FREEPOST RTEG-TYYU-KLTZ
City of York Council
Please note that we cannot currently issue parking permits in person at West Offices, due to restrictions over access to our Customer Centre during the coronavirus pandemic.
Using your business parking permit
Due to a lack of parking spaces, business parking permits are not allowed in certain zones.
Map of all ResPark zones
You can zoom in on the map to view the locations of residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) zones in York.
Click on individual zones to see more details.
Use the map search bar to search by postcode or street name to see if your premises falls within a ResPark zone, and if so whether that zone is excluded.
Cost of business parking permits
You can have a permit for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. The cost of your permit depends on how long you want the permit for.
There are also 2 different rates available depending on the level of emissions that your vehicle produces and the size of your vehicle.
You may be eligible for a discount dependent on your vehicle type:
- short car parking discounts are available if your car is shorter than 2.7 metres in length
- low emission parking discounts are available for electric/LPG powered cars and cars with emissions up to 120g/km2 (vehicle tax bands A-C)
You can find vehicle tax information on a new or used car online from the Vehicle Certification Agency.
You'll be charged the standard rate for any vehicles which don't qualify for the discounted rate.
Changes to your vehicle details
If you're receiving a short car or low emission discount then your permit will be vehicle-specific.
This means that any change to your vehicle details will require a replacement permit, regardless of whether the new vehicle is also eligible for a discount.
You'll need to:
- return your permit before a replacement can be issued
- include a letter explaining why you're returning your permit
- provide the new vehicle details
- include the vehicle registration document relating to the new vehicle (if the new vehicle is eligible for a discount)
- make a top-up payment for the remaining period of cover (if the new vehicle is not eligible for a discount)
- include a covering letter from the lease company or your employer confirming that you are allowed to use the vehicle (if the new vehicle is a lease/company vehicle)
The replacement will be issued with the same expiry date as the previous permit. Please allow 10 working days for receipt.
Until you receive your replacement permit, you'll be unable to park your new vehicle within the ResPark zone.
If you come in to our Customer Centre a new one can be issued to you then and there so you won't have to wait for a replacement.
If you want to update your permit in person, please ensure that you bring:
- your old permit
- any required documents
- a method of payment (if applicable)
Cancelling your business parking permit
You can cancel your parking permit at any time, and you'll be issued with a pro-rata refund for any time remaining on the permit.
West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA