Parking and travel

Special control parking permits

You can apply for a special control parking permit if you live in a house or flat in the residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) special control zones within:

  • the Micklegate area
  • the North Street area
  • Agar Street

Unlike standard household parking permits, only one permit can be issued and no visitor parking permits can be purchased. Permit holders may also be restricted to certain bays within a zone.

This is due to the restricted availability of on-street parking within the special control zones.

Apply for a special control parking permit

Parking permits must be paid for before you complete the relevant application form; check how much you need to pay for your permit.

Pay for your parking permit online

You’ll be given a receipt number (starting ‘ZZ’) which you must include on your special control parking permit application form, to avoid a delay in receiving your permit.

Email your completed application form, together with any required evidence, to or post to:

City of York Council
Parking Services
West Offices
Station Rise

Please note that we cannot currently issue parking permits in person at West Offices, due to restrictions over access to our Customer Centre during the coronavirus pandemic.

If you're unsure whether you're entitled to a special control permit or you need more information, please contact our parking services team before completing your application form.

Using your special control parking permit

The special control parking permit allows you (or a vehicle owner visiting your property) to park in certain resident bays in the area.

Map of special control parking zones

View larger map

You can zoom in on the map to view the locations of special control zones in York.

Click on individual zones to see more details.

Use the map search bar to search by postcode or street name to see if your property falls within a special control zone.

Cost of special control parking permits

You can have a permit for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. The cost of your permit depends on how long you want the permit for.

There are also 3 different rates available depending on the level of emissions that your vehicle produces and the size of your vehicle.

Discounted rate

You may be eligible for a discount dependent on your vehicle type:

Standard rate

You'll be charged the standard rate if the emissions are 121g to 185g/Km2 (vehicle tax bands D to I).

Premium rate

You'll be charged the premium rate for your household permit if the emissions are over 185g/Km2 (vehicle tax bands J to M) or your vehicle is longer than 5m.

You can find vehicle tax information on a new or used car online from the Vehicle Certification Agency.

See details of special control parking permit costs.

Temporary special control parking permits

When you move into a new property, you may not have the relevant proof of address to apply for a parking permit.

You can get a temporary permit in order to park in the special control zone for a period up to 3 months.

Once you've obtained the necessary proof of address, you'll need to send it to the Parking Office to confirm that you reside at the property.

Once the documents have been received, a resident permit will be issued to you so that you can continue to park in your residents' parking area.

You're still able to benefit from the savings achieved by paying for a 6, 9 or 12 month permit. However, if you pay for more than 3 months your temporary permit will still only be valid for the initial 3 month period. On receipt of your proof of address, we'll then issue a valid permit up until the date which was covered by your initial payment.

To apply for a temporary permit, complete a special control parking permit application form.

Changes to your vehicle details

If you're receiving a short car or low emission discount then your permit will be vehicle-specific.

This means that any change to your vehicle details will require a replacement permit, regardless of whether the new vehicle is also eligible for a discount.

You'll need to:

  • return your permit before a replacement can be issued
  • include a letter explaining why you're returning your permit
  • provide the new vehicle details
  • include the vehicle registration document relating to the new vehicle (if the new vehicle is eligible for a discount)
  • make a top-up payment for the remaining period of cover (if the new vehicle is not eligible for a discount)
  • include a covering letter from the lease company or your employer confirming that you are allowed to use the vehicle (if the new vehicle is a lease/company vehicle)

The replacement will be issued with the same expiry date as the previous permit. Please allow 10 working days for receipt.

Until you receive your replacement permit, you'll be unable to park your new vehicle within the ResPark zone.

If you come in to Customer Centre a new one can be issued to you then and there - so you won't have to wait for a replacement.

If you want to update your permit in person, please ensure that you bring:

  • your old permit
  • any required documents
  • a method of payment (if applicable)

Cancelling your special control parking permit

You can cancel your parking permit at any time, and you'll be issued with a pro-rata refund for any time remaining on the permit.

Also see

Parking Services

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551309