Our positive ageing housing choices guide is designed to take you through the range of services available that can advise, assist and support you to remain in your own home, as well as discussing the other types of accommodation options.
We are currently working in partnership with FirstStop, a national agency offering free independent information and advice for older people, their families and carers.
This partnership aims to help older people make informed decisions about their housing options, such as:
- staying in and adapting your home
- moving to a more suitable property
- moving to a new home where help or care is at hand
- moving to a care home
Contact our Older People Housing Advisor for free, impartial housing advice and information for homeowners, private and social housing tenants.
If you're over 50 and live in York, you can contact the Age UK Firstcall Information Service for advice on services you need in order to stay safe, healthy and independent in your own home.
Further information for older people
Find more information and advice on the following:
Money and benefits advice
- help with completing forms and arranging home visits
- find out what types of benefits are available to you
Housing and accommodation
- different types of housing available
- applying for council housing
- applying for sheltered housing
Repairs and maintenance around the home
- advice and assistance with private home repairs
Healthcare and social services
- advice on sight and hearing problems
- support for carers
- support for long term health conditions and disabilities
- Falls Prevention Scheme
- walking for health
- sport and physical activities for people aged 50 plus
Community activities and voluntary groups
- community venues
- accessible information for community venues (AccessAble)
- community activities for older people (LiveWellYork)
- volunteering opportunities to support community groups and activities (LiveWellYork)
- volunteering opportunities directory