When privately owned homes are in need of repair or physical improvements, we can offer advice on property maintenance and finding an appropriate contractor.

Choosing a contractor

The home services directory, available on the Age UK York website, offers a range of traders vetted by the police, City of York Trading Standards and Age UK York to protect householders from bogus traders.

YorWellbeing handyperson service

The YorWellbeing handyperson service can perform small jobs around your home if you:

  • live in the City of York area
  • are a home owner or private tenant
  • are aged 65 years and over, or are disabled

The YorWellbeing handyperson service may be free or subsidised, depending on your circumstances.

Financial help towards home repairs

We have no obligation to help homeowners pay for repairs, but we will do what we can to assist you financially if you live in a property which is in a significant state of disrepair.

You may qualify for financial help if you are aged 65 years and over or are disabled, and in receipt of a means-tested benefit.

Contact our Housing Standards and Adaptations Team to find out if you are eligible for financial assistance. You should not start work before your loan has been approved – we cannot pay you retrospectively.

Also see

Comment on this page