Private home repairs
If your privately owned home is in need of repair or improvement, we can offer advice on:
- finding an appropriate trader
- property maintenance
Choosing a trader
- the police
- Trading Standards
- Age UK York
Healthy Homes handyperson service
Our Healthy Homes handyperson service can help with small jobs around the home if you're:
- aged 65 years and over or disabled
- a home owner or private tenant
- resident in the City of York area
Depending on your circumstances, the service may be offered for free, or on a subsidised basis.
Financial help towards home repairs
You may qualify for financial help if you're:
- aged 65 years and over, or
- disabled, and in receipt of a means-tested benefit
Contact our Housing Standards and Adaptations Team to find out if you're eligible for financial assistance.
Note: Don't start any maintenace work before we've approved your loan, as we can't pay you retrospectively.