Learn how to reduce the amount of money you spend on energy and create a warm, healthy home.
Did you know:
- turning off appliances when not in use could save you £30 a year?
- installing cavity wall insulation could save you £160 a year?
- double glazing your home could save you £85 to £110 a year?
(Source: Energy Saving Trust)
Save money on your energy bills
It is really important to check that you are not paying more than you need to on your energy bills. It's easy to do - visit the Citizens' Advice Bureau's Energy Compare to find the best deal for you.
Citizens Advice York can also help you check, switch and save.
Help buying and installing energy saving measures
In partnership with Better Homes Yorkshire, we can offer advice on energy saving measures to install in your home and help you get government subsidies to pay for them.
Keep warm and save energy
To keep warm and save energy try:
- setting your heating to the right temperature (18 to 21°C or 65 to 70°F) - this keeps your home warm and bills as low as possible
- closing curtains at dusk
- draught-proofing your doors and windows, if necessary
- wearing socks, thermal underwear and warm nightclothes to keep warm in bed
- using a extra blanket or a covered hot water bottle when you're feeling cold
To reduce your electricity bills:
- remember to turn appliances off when not in use
- always unplug your phone charger after it’s done
- only boil the water you need in the kettle (making sure the filament is covered)
- replace light bulbs with low energy ones
- switch off lights when you leave the room
- wash a full load in your washing machine and set the temperature to 30°C which keeps clothes fresh but uses less energy than higher temperatures
- dry clothes outside instead of using the tumble dryer, where possible
Home Upgrade Grant
Find out of you qualify for the Home Upgrade Grant, to improve your household insulation and fuel efficiency.
Get more advice about energy efficiency
The Energy Saving Trust offers further information and advice about making your home more energy efficient.