We're currently offering free home safety visits across all wards in York.
Whilst falls are not an inevitable part of ageing, they're more likely to occur as people get older.
We can provide practical help and advice to reduce the risk of falls if you're worried about falling in your home.
Falls Prevention Assessment
During our visit, we can offer you personalised advice by:
- finding out more about you
- looking at the layout of your home
We may look at:
- stairs and steps
- clutter and tripping hazards (for example: rugs, cables)
- floor coverings
- poor lighting, glare, shadows
- lack of appropriate adaptations (for example: grab rails, stair rails)
- access to telephone or alarm systems
- quality of heating
- door thresholds
The risk of falls can also be increased by your:
- medical conditions
Making adjustments to your home
We may be able to carry out adjustments to your home which will help reduce the risk of falls - at no cost to you.
We can often make adjustments there and then if you:
- own your own home
- live in a council property
We'll need to get your landlord's permission before making any adjustments to your property if you're a:
- housing association tenant
- private tenant