Parking and travel

House in multiple occupancy (HMO) parking permits

You can apply for a House in multiple occupancy (HMO) parking permit if you live in a HMO property within a residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) zone and the permit is for your car.

A HMO property is a property occupied by unrelated tenants, each with a self-contained, lockable room.

Visitors to the household will need to use HMO visitor parking permits.

Apply for a HMO parking permit

Parking permits must be paid for before you complete the relevant application form; check how much you need to pay for your permit and what evidence is required.

Pay for your parking permit online

You’ll be given a receipt number (starting ‘ZZ’) which you must include on your HMO parking permit application form, to avoid a delay in receiving your permit.

Email your completed application form, together with any required evidence, to or post to:

City of York Council
Parking Services
West Offices
Station Rise

Please note that we cannot currently issue parking permits in person at West Offices, due to restrictions over access to our Customer Centre during the coronavirus pandemic.

Using your HMO parking permit

HMO parking permits allow you to park in community and guest house bays only. These bays will be clearly marked and signposted within your ResPark zone.

Map of all ResPark zones

View larger map

You can zoom in on the map to view the locations of residents' priority parking scheme (ResPark) zones in York.

Click on individual zones to see more details.

Use the map search bar to search by postcode or street name to see if your property falls within a ResPark zone.

Cost of HMO parking permits

You can have a permit for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. The cost of your permit depends on how long you want the permit for.

There are also 2 different rates available depending on the level of emissions that your vehicle produces and the size of your vehicle.

HMO permit costs should be the same for each new applicant, even if other residents on separate tenancies at the property already hold a permit.

Discounted rate

You may be eligible for a discount dependent on your vehicle type:

You can find vehicle tax information on a new or used car online from the Vehicle Certification Agency.

Standard rate

You'll be charged the standard rate for any vehicles which don't qualify for the discounted rate.

See details of HMO parking permit costs.

HMO visitor parking permit prices are the same as standard visitor parking permits.

Proof of vehicle details

HMO parking permits are vehicle specific so we'll need to see a copy of your vehicle registration document (V5 document), to confirm the vehicle details.

If you're not the registered keeper of the vehicle, we'll need to see the V5 document as well as a covering letter from the owner confirming that you have permission to use the vehicle. Examples where this may be the case include:

  • lease cars
  • company cars
  • cars owner by other family members

You can send scanned copies of the V5 document and cover letter (if required) by email, but photographs of documents are not acceptable.

Please note that if you don’t own the vehicle, if a parking fine is issued and not paid, any notification letters will be sent to the registered keeper and not your address

Changes to your vehicle details

Any change to your vehicle details will require a replacement permit. You'll need to return your permit before a replacement can be issued.

Include a letter explaining why you're returning your permit and provide the new vehicle details. Please also include supporting documents relating to the new vehicle:

  • vehicle registration document
  • a covering letter confirming that you have permission to use the vehicle (if you are not the registered keeper)

The replacement will be issued with the same expiry date as the previous permit. Please allow 10 working days for your new permit to be received.

Until you receive your replacement permit, you'll be unable to park your new vehicle within the ResPark zone.

There may be a change to the applicable charge, if either the old or new vehicle is eligible for a discount. If this is the case, you may need to make a top-up payment or you may be due a partial refund of the amount paid for your original permit, dependent on the nature of the change.

If you come in to our Customer Centre with your old permit, and any required documents, a new one can be issued to you then and there so you won't have to wait for a replacement.

Cancelling your HMO parking permit

You can cancel your HMO parking permit at any time, and you'll be issued with a pro-rata refund for any time remaining on the permit.

Once issued, HMO visitor parking permits can't be returned and the fee is non-refundable.

HMO visitor parking permits

The first person in a household to register for a HMO permit is issued with an authorisation card which is shared with all residents in the HMO property in order to buy visitor parking permits.

Any visitor permits issued are not vehicle specific. These can be used by other members of the household, or by visitors to the household.

Also see

Parking Services

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551309