Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Council Tax Support (CTS) is a 'means tested' discount off your council tax bill to help those on a low income.

You're likely to qualify for Council Tax Support if you're on welfare benefits or a low income.

If you're claiming Universal Credit or Pension Credit you should check if you are eligible for Council Tax Support.

How much you get is based on your:

  • household income
  • savings

You won't be eligible if you have savings over £16,000, unless you receive Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.

You could receive a maximum discount of:

See our Council Tax Support Scheme 2022 to 2023 for more information.

Apply for Council Tax Support

Use our online form to find out:

Once the application form is submitted the Claim Sheet shows what evidence is needed to support the application.

This asks for original documents to be provided in person at West Offices or by post.

Start or return to claim

Contact our Benefits Team for assistance if you need help making a claim.

Extra help with Council Tax

If you are struggling to pay you your Council Tax you may be able to get extra help. You can apply whether or not you are eligible for Council Tax Support. Find out if you're eligible to join our Discretionary Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Change of circumstances for Council Tax Support

You must report any change in circumstances which may affect the amount of Council Tax Support you receive.

On 1 April 2021 a Council Tax Support Tolerance Scheme was introduced. This scheme was introduced to reduce the number of bills and payment changes for people whose income changes by small amounts each month.

This means, if your income goes up or down and the change to the amount of Council Tax Support is £2.50 a week or less, your Council Tax Support and bill will remain the same as before the change.

If your changes are significant enough to result in an amended bill, we'll increase or reduce your Council Tax Support with effect from the day you tell us the changes took place, and send you an amended bill confirming our adjustments.

Also see

Benefits appointments

Contact us for an appointment to get benefits advice in person at West Offices.

Make an appointment