If you need help paying your rent, you can make a claim for Housing Benefit.
You will still have to claim Council Tax Support from us.
Your online claim for Housing Benefit
Using our online form is the quickest and easiest way to claim.
Your application is in 3 parts:
- the calculator gives you an idea of what you may be entitled to
- the claim form
- the evidence checklist confirms which proof of ID you need to provide
Make sure you print off or save your evidence checklist after you submit your application.
You can also use this form to:
- see how much Council Tax Support you could get if you are the person responsible for paying Council Tax for the home you live in
- find out if you're entitled to Income Support, Pension Credit or Tax Credit
- claim Council Tax Support
When you will receive Housing Benefit
Housing Benefit is normally paid from the Monday after you submit your online application. If you delay submitting your application, you could risk losing benefit.
No payment of Housing Benefit will be made if you do not provide your evidence as soon as possible; if you fail to provide your evidence within one month, your claim will be closed.
Who can claim Housing Benefit
Check the rules about Housing Benefit eligibility (if you are entitled to claim Housing Benefit).
If you are helping someone make a claim for Housing Benefit, you can complete the claim form on their behalf.
If you have a change of circumstances
You should also tell us if your circumstances change.
Housing Benefit and the benefit cap
If you are awarded Housing Benefit and are subject to the benefit cap as a result of the Government's Welfare Reform Act 2012, we will write and let you know. This means that you may receive a reduced amount of Housing Benefit than the one quoted in the calculation on this website.