If you need help to pay your rent, you can claim housing benefit. The quickest and easiest way to claim is to use our online form.
You will still have to claim Council Tax Support from the council.
If you proceed with this claim for Housing Benefit, we will tell you if you should be claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.
The application is in three parts:
- a calculator which can give you an idea of what you may be entitled to
- the claim form
- an evidence checklist to confirm what proofs you need to provide. Please make sure you print off or save the evidence checklist after you submit your application.
Housing benefit is normally paid from the Monday after you submit your online application. If you delay submitting your application you could risk losing benefit.
No payment of Housing Benefit will be made if you do not provide your evidence as soon as possible - if you fail to provide your evidence within one month your claim will be closed.
This form can also be used to:
- see how much Council Tax Support you could get if you are the person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax for the home you live in
- find out if you're entitled to Income Support, Pension Credit or Tax Credit
- claim Council Tax Support
Who can claim housing benefit
Check the rules about who can claim housing benefit on GOV.UK.
If you are helping someone to make a claim for housing benefit, you can complete the claim form on their behalf.
Change of circumstances
You should also tell us if your circumstances change
The welfare and benefits information outlined on our website may be affected by the Government's Welfare Reform Act 2012. If you are awarded Housing Benefit and are subject to the benefit cap, we will write to you and let you know. This means that the amount of Housing Benefit quoted in the calculation on this website may be reduced.