Claim housing benefits

If you need help to pay your rent, you can claim housing benefits. The quickest and easiest way to claim is to use our online form.

The application is in three parts:

  • a calculator which can give you an idea of what you may be entitled to
  • the claim form
  • an evidence checklist to confirm what proofs you need to provide. Please make sure you print off or save the evidence checklist after you submit your application.

Housing benefit is normally paid from the Monday after you submit your online application. If you delay submitting your application you could risk losing benefit.

No payment of Housing Benefit will be made if you do not provide your evidence as soon as possible - if you fail to provide your evidence within one month your claim will be closed.

If you live in the area covered by City of York Council, you can use this application to:

  • see how much housing benefit you could get if you rent your home
  • see how much Council Tax Support you could get if you are the person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax for the home you live in
  • find out if you're entitled to Income Support, Pension Credit or Tax Credit

Who can claim housing benefit

You cannot claim housing benefit if you are eligible for Universal Credit. You can also use this form to claim Council Tax Support.

Check the rules about who can claim housing benefit.

If you are helping someone to make a claim for housing benefit, you can complete the claim form on their behalf.

Change of circumstances

You should also tell us if your circumstances change

Welfare Reform

The welfare and benefits information outlined on our website may be affected by the Government's Welfare Reform Act 2012. If you are awarded Housing Benefit and are subject to the benefit cap, we will write to you and let you know. This means that the amount of Housing Benefit quoted in the calculation on this website may be reduced.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page