The council tax Discretionary Reduction Scheme provides assistance to people who are finding it difficult to pay their council tax bill.
This could be due to low income or a particular change in circumstances:
- you could have lost your job and have no savings
- you may be receiving benefits but your Council Tax Support doesn't cover all your council tax bill
- You may be negatively affected by the Council Tax Support Tolerance Scheme
If you are in arrears or unable to keep up your payments you can apply for extra help.
You'll need to tell us:
- why you're unable to pay your council tax bill
- whether you've received debt or benefits advice
- details of your household income, expenditure, savings and investments
Note: We can't make reductions to cover court costs, recovery costs or penalty charges.
The form can be completed by:
- the bill payer
- the person liable to pay the council tax
- someone who's been nominated to act on their behalf
Make an appointment with our Benefits Team if you need help filling in your application form.
We may ask for additional information or evidence if necessary.
Debt advice and assistance
Advice and support is available for residents who are struggling with money and paying bills.
The Money Advice Service have up to date information and guidance about coronavirus and your money, to help you plan for the financial impacts of the current situation.
Make sure you’re getting all the help available. Use a free independent benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get, how to claim and how your benefits will be affected if your circumstances change.
You can also get advice and support from local services working across the city.
See more information about how to get help managing your money and appointing a third party to act on your behalf.
Discretionary reduction decisions
We consider each application on its individual merits - we base our decision on your council tax bill after any deductions, such as:
- reductions for disabilities
Find out how we consider your circumstances when making Council Tax Discretionary Reduction Scheme award decisions.
Contact us for an appointment to get benefits advice in person at West Offices.