Health and social care

Help managing your money

Get free benefits and money advice if you're struggling with:

  • managing your money
  • paying your bills
  • paying your debts

Finding help to manage your money

If you're unable to manage your money, we can arrange for someone to become your 'appointee' or 'deputy':

  • an appointee looks after your benefits
  • a deputy looks after your benefits, property, savings, investments

Appointees and deputies can:

  • manage your finances
  • receive benefits on your behalf
  • make sure you get the correct benefits

Acting as your appointee or deputy

We can act as your appointee or deputy if you have no family or friend willing or able to act on your behalf.

For us to act as your appointee, you must:

  • be eligible for social care
  • have savings of less than £16,000
  • not own property or land
  • receive a social security benefit or state pension
  • be considered unable to manage your finances by your Care Manager (and yourself)

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) must also be satisfied you're unable to manage your affairs - for example, by visiting you, and, if necessary, getting medical evidence.

You can't use appointeeship as an alternative to our normal care management procedures.

In addition to the above, for us to act as your deputy, you must also:

  • own property or land
  • have savings in excess of £16,000
  • receive other income, such as an occupational pension

Apply for help to manage your money

If you feel you could be at risk of financial abuse (for example, you're unable to manage your benefits), we can apply for appointeeship, also known as the Court of Protection and Appointee Service.

If we're already supporting you and you want us to become your appointee, your care provider can organise this.

If you're not eligible for social care, a relative or friend can apply to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to become your appointee.

We must apply to the Court of Protection to manage your finances if you have:

  • more than £16,000 in savings, or
  • own land or property

We'll then become your deputy, and will also apply to become your appointee at the same time.

Also see

Adult Social Care Community Team

Telephone: 01904 555111, Textphone: 07534 437804

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Adult Social Care Emergency Duty Team

Contact the Emergency Duty Team for assistance.

We're available between 5.00pm and 8.30am, Monday to Friday, 24 hours a day over weekends (between 5.00pm Friday until 8.30am Monday), and 24 hours on bank holidays.

Telephone: 01609 780780