Fraud costs councils across the UK an estimated £2 billion per year.
If you're aware of fraud happening, or you suspect someone is committing fraud against us:
- report it to our Veritau Team immediately
- they will investigate all reports of fraud we receive
- you can report fraud anonymously, if you wish
Veritau's work to prevent fraud
Our anti-fraud team, Veritau investigates all fraud committed against us, including:
- council tax and business rate fraud
- housing fraud
- Blue Badge/parking permit fraud
- benefit fraud (excluding Housing Benefit, which is investigated by the Department for Work and Pensions)
- social care fraud
- school admission application fraud
Fraud prevention and data matching exercises
We carry out regular checks to protect ourselves against fraud, such as checking whether people’s circumstances have changed, and whether that means they should no longer be claiming benefits.
Our 'data matching' exercises (which involve comparing computer records held by different organisations) include the National Fraud Initiative, the Housing Benefit Matching Service and other local initiatives. Where necessary, we also share information with the Department for Work and Pensions, other councils and relevant organisations, in order to prevent and detect fraud.