Each address in York is linked to a local school known as your 'catchment school'.
Residence in a particular catchment area does not guarantee the allocation of a school place at your catchment school, as this will depend upon the number of available places at the preferred schools, as well as you home address.
See further information about catchment areas and school applications.
Primary schools catchment areas map
Secondary schools catchment areas map
Always check specific addresses with School Services if you have any uncertainty as to your appropriate catchment school.
Catchment areas and school applications
You have priority access to your catchment school under their oversubscription criteria, but you are not guaranteed a place. For this reason, when applying for a school place, we recommend you list up to 5 preferences, including your catchment school.
If your child's allocated place is not at your catchment school, or if you move from a catchment area, you may have less chance of being successful when applying for any younger siblings in future years.
Address used for school admission applications
When applying for a school place, you must:
- only use 1 address
- use the address where you and your child are ordinarily resident at the time of application
- be prepared to prove you are ordinarily resident at your stated address
- provide additional information if requested, before a place can be confirmed
- check addresses against other records we hold, in accordance with our Data Protection Registration
- ask for proof of ownership or tenancy at the address provided, together with exit proof of the previous address
- ask to see a tenancy agreement, or proof of completion of sale
- request evidence of council tax payment to prove residence
Members of the public can report suspected fraud to us, and we investigate all reports we receive. Any information you provide can be reported anonymously if you wish.
You can report fraudulent school place applications to our Fraud Team; they investigate all suspected address fraud on our behalf.