Inform the police via ActionFraud if you believe you've been exposed to online scams, fraud or cyber crime.
Alternatively, if you're concerned someone is impersonating our staff or using the guise of City of York Council as part of any scam, report this to our Trading Standards team.
In an effort to get your bank account details scammers might:
- say they’re from the council or Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
- tell you your property is in the wrong council tax band
- state that your business rates are incorrect
- telephone you claiming to be able to reduce your bill
- call at your door offering to provide a refund
- ask for payment to check your council tax band or business rates with the VOA
Alternatively, make sure you appoint a reputable agent to make checks on your behalf.
Visit GOV.UK for more information on identifying fraudulent agents and avoiding council tax and business rate scams.