Many businesses manage to illegally evade paying their business rates, either in full or in part.
We need your help to identify those evading business rates, so that we can recoup lost business rates revenue and to secure the continued payment of these rates.
If you're concerned about business rates fraud, or wish to report possible fraud, please contact our fraud prevention team, Veritau. Alternatively contact the Business Rates Team.
See further information on how to identify council tax and business rates scams and what you can do to avoid them.
We work hard to combat business rates fraud and scams, in order to secure the business rates that are due to be paid in the authority area and further afield.
Examples of business rates fraud include:
- not declaring a new business premise
- not declaring that a property is being used for business purposes
- failure to inform the local authority that a business has moved into a property
- falsely stating that a business property is no longer in use
- falsely claiming a reduction or relief