You're committing benefit fraud if you:
- intentionally don't report a change in circumstances
- are dishonest in order to get benefits
We rely on members of the public to report all suspected cases of benefit fraud and abuse, and we investigate all reports we receive. Any information you provide can be reported anonymously if you wish.
Dealing with benefit fraud
To do this we:
- refer cases of Housing Benefit fraud to the Department for Work and Pensions
- refer all other cases of other types of fraud committed against the council to Veritau
- make our systems and procedures as secure as possible
- request the necessary proofs of identity in support of benefit claims
- review claims on a regular basis
Fraud prevention and data matching exercises
We also carry out regular fraud prevention and data matching exercises to protect ourselves against fraud.
Fraud investigation data
See York Open Data for further information about the fraud investigation work we carry out.