Led by the Chief Operating Officer, Ian Floyd, it includes the following officers:
- Director of Public Health
- Director of Governance and Monitoring Officer
- Director of Customer and Communities
- Chief Finance Officer
Find out more about the service responsibilities within:
Chief Operating Officer
Statutory responsibility - Head of Paid Service
As Head of the Council’s Paid Service, Ian is responsible for securing staff and other resources needed to deliver high quality, cost effective services to the people of York.
Working closely with the Corporate Management Team and the Leader and Executive Team, he ensures those resources support the Council’s vision, policies and goals.
Ian's responsibilities include acting in the capacity of Returning Officer for Local, Parliamentary and European elections and Counting Officer for referendums.
He is also the North Yorkshire and York Lead for the regional Climate Change Commission and Chair of the North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum Recovery Group.
Corporate Director of People
Statutory responsibility - DASS and DCS
The role's responsibilities include:
- early years
- adult social care and children's social care
- Youth Justice Service
- fostering and adoption
- special educational needs and skills
- school improvement and school organisation and support
- residential care, home care and carers support
- mental health services
- support for people with learning disabilities
- commissioning and integration with health
Find out more about the service responsibilities of the People Directorate functions, and Heads of Service see service responsibilities.
Corporate Director of Place
Neil is responsible for the majority of physical Council assets in the City and the regulation of public spaces and commercial activity in the City.
His responsibilities cover the following service areas:
- planning policy
- building control
- land and property gazetteer
- city development and regeneration
- commercial property portfolio
- neighbourhood planning
- spatial evidence
- transport and parking
- conservation and sustainability
- travel planning
- road safety and rights of way
- cycling policy
- traffic management
- CCTV and street lighting
- flood risk and water management
- waste collection, disposal and recycling
- fleet management
- public protection
- business and economic policy and strategy
- housing and homelessness
- building services
- emergency planning
- community safety
- people and neighbourhoods strategy and policy
Get further information on the Place Directorate, including functions and Heads of Service.
Director of Public Health
Statutory responsibility - Director of Public Health
As senior advocate for the health of the population across the city of York, Sharon is accountable for all City of York Council’s responsibilities for public health. They include promoting and protecting the health of residents and reducing health inequalities.
She is lead for the commissioning of a range of public health services including:
- sexual health
- substance misuse
- stop smoking support
- NHS health checks
- Healthy Child Service
Sharon's responsibilities also include the delivery of public health programmes such as public mental health, suicide prevention, healthy weight and oral health.
Get more information about Public Health functions and Heads of Service.
Director of Governance and Monitoring Officer
Janie is the Council's Director of Governance (Chief Legal Officer) and Monitoring Officer (statutory role). In addition, she is appointed as Senior Information Risk Owner and Deputy Returning Officer (full powers).
Janie is responsible for the following services:
- legal services
- Information Governance, customer feedback and complaints
- governance and decision-making of the Council
- democratic and scrutiny services
- civic office
- internal audit
- corporate strategy and city partnerships
- Business Intelligence
- carbon reduction
Get more information about Governance and Monitoring functions and Heads of Service.
Director of Customer and Communities
Pauline is responsible for Customer Services and Strategy including:
- Customer and Web Services
- Mansion House
- Register Office (including role of Proper Officer)
- Bereavement services
She is responsible for Exchequer Services including revenue collection and recovery, adults income and court of protection. In addition to Welfare Benefits delivery and leadership around Financial Inclusion Pauline's responsibilities also include Business Support including payroll and creditors functions.
Pauline is responsible for ICT operations (and provision of services to Harrogate Borough Council), Digital Services Programme and Digital City delivery.
Her Communities and Equalities responsibilities include:
- adult education and skills
- leisure and community centres
- people and neighbourhoods strategy
- policy commissioning and contract/SLA management across Explore York
- leisure facilities
- York Museums Trust
- York CVS
- Citizens Advice York
- welfare benefits unit
- Make It York
Get more information on Customer and Communities functions and Heads of Service.
Chief Finance Officer
Council’s Section 151 Officer (statutory role)
Debbie is responsible for ensuring the Council has arrangements in place for the proper administration of all financial matters. She is lead officer on all aspects of finance, procurement, insurance and risk.
Get more information on Finance functions and Heads of Service.