The York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides help if you are having financial difficulties.

To get support:

complete an online YFAS form

Alternatively, telephone: 0808 168 5238 (free from a landline).

Before making a YFAS application, you should check whether you are eligible for emergency support from the Department for Work and Pensions.

The Citizens' Advice budget sheet can help you list all your income and expenses, which is useful if you're applying online as we'll ask you to provide these details. When completed, return this sheet to YFAS via our Benefits Section (not Citizen's Advice).

If you are homeless, use our address when filling in your application: City of York Council, West Offices, York, YO1 6GA

Assistance available through YFAS

We offer 2 types of assistance, targeted at those most in need:

  • Emergency Assistance: to help with a disaster or crisis
  • Community Assistance: to help with a return to/remaining in your community

Community Assistance can also help ease pressure on your family, for example, by providing help to attend a funeral or with visiting a sick relative.

What YFAS provides

YFAS provides goods, services, fuel top-ups and supermarket vouchers. We can only make cash available to you in exceptional circumstances, for example, if we receive a recommendation from a support agency for you.

We'll award items on the basis of need; for example, we'll only provide carpets if there is a specific need, such as you have a baby or toddler who is crawling.

Download the YFAS factsheet and YFAS criteria for more information.

Emergency support from the Department for Work and Pensions

If you’re waiting for your first benefit payment or there has been a delay in your benefit payment you can apply for assistance from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

You may be able to apply for a short-term benefit advance or a Universal Credit Advance payment:

If you are already claiming benefits you may be able to apply for a budgeting loan to help pay for essential items:

See more information about Benefits on GOV.UK.

Also see

Comment on this page