Temporary suspension of bulky collection service
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, and to protect staffing levels for waste services, we are not currently providing the bulky collection service.
We can collect unwanted bulky waste from your property, which can't be disposed of along with your normal household waste collections.
These items can include furniture, bed bases, mattresses, garden chairs, and other larger household items.
- Booking a bulky item collection
- Putting bulky items out for collection
- Fridges, freezers and asbestos
- Bulky items we cannot collect
- Bulky item collection days
- Requesting a refund for a bulky item collection
- Reusing or recycling household items
Booking a bulky item collection
We currently charge £22.00 to collect up to 10 bulky items.
Some special terms apply:
- each small item counts as 1 item; for example, removing a bed which includes a base, a mattress and a headboard would count as 3 items
- any items which are particularly large or heavy, such as cast iron baths and pianos, are assessed on an individual basis
- collections of more than 10 separate items also require an assessment
You can only book bulky item collections by telephone - you'll need to contact us to arrange an assessment or a collection, or to make a payment.
If we need to assess your bulky items, we'll book the initial assessment on your ward collection day, then let you know the removal cost removal. If you wish to proceed, contact us to arrange collection at a later suitable date.
Check when the next bulky item collection day is in your ward/area.
If you require a next day collection, call before midday to book your place, subject to availability.
Note: Next day collections aren't possible where we need to make an assessment.
Putting bulky items out for collection
You mustn't place any items for collection on:
- any public spaces
Leave your items in a suitable place outside where we can easily access them, for example, on your driveway or in your garden. We won't enter a property to remove bulky items under any circumstances.
Please try to ensure that items are left in a sheltered location, or are covered (for example by plastic sheeting), in case of bad weather.
You should wait until your collection day to leave your items out by 8.00am. You can leave you items out a number of days before the collection is due but this may increase the chance of the items becoming soaked or saturated.
If items to be collected become soaked or saturated due to precautions not being taken to cover them from rain or because they've been left out too long, this may prevent them from being collected. In these cases you may not be eligible for a refund of fees paid.
Note that you don't need to be present at the time of collection.
Fridges, freezers and asbestos
Find out how we can also help with removal of fridges and freezers.
We offer a bonded asbestos collection service on the same days as bulky items. However, you should allow a minimum of 5 working days for this.
Bulky items we cannot collect
We can't collect any of the following items:
- trade or commercial waste (see further advice about commercial waste disposal responsibilities)
- fluorescent tubes
- domestic household waste (for example: bagged waste that goes into a wheelie bin or bin bag)
- garden waste (for example: bags of leaves, cuttings, bushes, tree branches)
- builders' waste (for example: plasterboard, rubble, masonry, marble, bathroom suites - whole or broken down)
- gas bottles
- whole or damaged panes of glass (for example: glass in a window frame or loose window panes; glass in a door frame. We will take glass that is secure, for example, in a microwave or old-style TV as long as it is not broken)
- any soiled products (for example: mattresses, sofas or soft furnishings)
Bulky item collection days
We only collect items on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays according to the ward you live in.
Make sure you book a bulky item collection on the correct day for your ward.
- Haxby and Wigginton
- Huntington and New Earswick
- Rawcliffe and Clifton Without
- Dringhouses and Woodthorpe
- Rural West York
- Fulford and Heslington
- Heworth Without
- Hull Road
- Osbaldwick and Derwent Ward
Requesting a refund for a bulky item collection
We'll refund your bulky waste payment if your collection date:
- is in the future
- is in the past and we were unable to collect your item(s) due to operational issues, or we've rescheduled your collection to a date which isn't acceptable to you
We'll refund you by crediting the debit/credit card you made your original payment with.
We can't offer a refund if we attempted to collect your item(s) but were unable to so due to locked gates/blocked access/loose dogs.
We also can't offer a refund if your listed item(s):
- didn't match those left out for collection
- were soiled
- had been removed by a third party
Reusing or recycling household items
There are a number of ways you can reuse or recycle your household items:
- York Community Furniture Store - collect and deliver furniture and electrical items free of charge
- York Freecycle - offer an item for free rather than throw it away
- British Heart Foundation - collect furniture and electrical items free of charge