We can collect unwanted bulky waste from your property, which can't be disposed of along with your normal household waste collections.
These items can include furniture, bed bases, mattresses, garden chairs, and other larger household items.
- Book a bulky waste collection
- Putting bulky items out for collection
- Fridges, freezers and asbestos
- Bulky items we cannot collect
- Bulky item collection days
- Missed bulky collections
- Requesting a refund for a bulky item collection
Asking someone to take your items away
Remember, your waste is your responsibility. If you pay for someone to get rid of it for you (rather than arranging a bulky waste collection with us), you must make sure they're a licensed waste carrier; check with the Environment Agency.
Booking a bulky item collection
We charge £27.00 to collect up to 10 bulky items.
Some terms and conditions apply:
- each small item counts as 1 item; for example, removing a bed which includes a base, a mattress and a headboard would count as 3 items
- any items which are particularly large or heavy, such as fence panels and pianos, are assessed on an individual basis
- collections of more than 10 separate items also require an assessment
- if you wish to add, amend or cancel your collection, we must hear from you before 12:00pm the day before the collection date
- if items are wet or saturated it may prevent them being collected and you may not be eligible for a refund
- we reserve the right not to collect items if they're not in the condition we expect to find them, or not as described at time of booking
- we will not enter a property to remove bulky items under any circumstances
Contact our Waste, Highways and Environmental Services team on telephone: 01904 551551 to arrange an assessment or a collection, or make a payment.
If we need to assess your bulky items, we'll book the initial assessment on your ward collection day, then let you know the cost of removal. If you wish to proceed, you can telephone to arrange collection on a suitable date.
Check when the next bulky item collection day is in your ward/area.
Putting bulky items out for collection
Bulky waste collections start at 7.00am.
Put your items out before 7.00am on your collection day, ensuring they're sheltered or covered in case of rainy weather (for example, using plastic sheeting). If items become wet or saturated it may prevent them being collected, and you may not be eligible for a refund.
Do not place any items for collection on:
- any public spaces
Leave your items outside where we can easily access them, for example, on your driveway or in your garden; you don't need to be present at the time of collection.
Fridges, freezers and asbestos
We can help with removal of fridges and freezers.
We offer a bonded asbestos collection service on the same days as bulky items. However, you should allow a minimum of 5 working days for this.
Bulky items we cannot collect
Examples of items which cannot be collected include:
- trade or commercial waste (see further advice about commercial waste disposal responsibilities)
- builders' waste, such as plasterboard, rubble, masonry, marble, porcelain, bathroom suites (whole or broken down)
- chemicals, such as oil, paint, antifreeze
- domestic household waste, such as small household items, bagged waste that goes into a wheelie bin or bin bag
- garden waste, such as bags of leaves, cuttings, bushes, tree branches
- whole or damaged panes of glass, such as glass in a window frame or loose window panes, glass in a door frame (we can take glass that's part of another item, for example a microwave door, washing machine door, TV or monitor screen, as long as it's not broken)
- any soiled items, such as soiled mattresses, sofas or soft furnishings
- fluorescent tubes
- gas bottles
This is not a complete list; if required we can discuss what can or cannot be collected in more detail when you make your booking.
If items left out for collection don't match the items described at the time of booking we may not be able to collect them.
Bulky item collection days
We only collect items on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays according to the ward you live in.
Make sure you book a bulky item collection on the correct day for your ward.
- Haxby and Wigginton
- Huntington and New Earswick
- Rawcliffe and Clifton Without
- Dringhouses and Woodthorpe
- Rural West York
- Fulford and Heslington
- Heworth Without
- Hull Road
- Osbaldwick and Derwent Ward
Missed bulky collections
See details of how we deal with missed bulky waste collections.
Any missed collections should not be reported until the next working day following the agreed collection date.
Requesting a refund for a bulky item collection
We'll refund your bulky waste payment if your collection date is in:
- the future
- the past and we were unable to collect your item(s) due to operational issues, or we've rescheduled your collection to a date which isn't acceptable to you
We'll refund you by crediting the debit/credit card you made your original payment with.
We can't offer a refund if we attempted to collect your item(s) but were unable to so due to locked gates/blocked access/loose dogs.
We also can't offer a refund if your listed item(s):
- didn't match those left out for collection
- were soiled
- had been removed by a third party