We can collect unwanted fridges and freezers from your property, which can't be disposed of along with your normal household waste collections.
Contact our Customer Centre on telephone: 01904 551551 to arrange a fridge or freezer collection, or to make a payment.
- Fridge and freezer collections
- Fridge and freezer collection days
- Missed collections
- Reusing or recycling household items
Fridge and freezer collections
We offer a fridge and freezer collection service from households only:
- we charge £15 per item
- contact us by telephone to arrange this and make a payment
- book a collection day appropriate to the ward you live in - see below for collection days
Leave items for collection in a suitable place outside where we can easily access them, for example:
- on a driveway
- in a garden
Don't leave your items on a public path, highway or verge.
You don't need to be present for us to collect your items.
Fridge and freezer collection days
We collect fridges and freezers on different days, depending on the ward you live in.
Collection days are the same as for other bulky waste collections, on:
Allow a minimum of 5 working days' notice when booking a collection.
If you call the day before the scheduled collection date for your area, we can't guarantee that we'll have available capacity to deal with your request.
See details of how we deal with missed bulky waste collections.
Any missed collections should not be reported until the next working day following the agreed collection date.
Reusing or recycling household items
You can donate your household items to the following organisations instead of throwing them away:
- place in the re-use container at Hazel Court HWRC. Items are collected by The Recycle Project for reuse
- York Freecycle - offer items for free rather than throwing them away
- British Heart Foundation - collect furniture and electrical items free of charge
- York Community Furniture Store - collect furniture and electrical items free of charge - they supply furniture and electrical goods to local households, offering discounts for people with proof of low-income
- St Leonard's Hospice - donate items for resale in the charity shops