We can collect unwanted bulky waste from your property, which can't be disposed of along with your normal household waste collections.
These items can include furniture, bed bases, mattresses, garden chairs, and other larger household items.
- Book a bulky waste collection
- Putting bulky items out for collection
- Fridges, freezers and asbestos
- Bulky items we cannot collect
- Bulky item collection days
- Missed bulky collections
- Requesting a refund for a bulky item collection
- Reusing or recycling household items
Booking a bulky item collection
We currently charge £24.00 to collect up to 10 bulky items.
Some special terms apply:
- each small item counts as 1 item; for example, removing a bed which includes a base, a mattress and a headboard would count as 3 items
- any items which are particularly large or heavy, such as cast iron baths and pianos, are assessed on an individual basis
- collections of more than 10 separate items also require an assessment
- if you wish to add, amend or cancel your collection, we must hear from you before 12:00pm the day before the collection date.
Contact our Waste, Highways and Environmental Services team on telephone: 01904 551551 to arrange an assessment or a collection, or make a payment.
If we need to assess your bulky items, we'll book the initial assessment on your ward collection day, then let you know the cost of removal. If you wish to proceed, you can telephone to arrange collection on a suitable date.
Check when the next bulky item collection day is in your ward/area.
Putting bulky items out for collection
You mustn't place any items for collection on:
- any public spaces
Leave your items in a suitable place outside where we can easily access them, for example, on your driveway or in your garden. We won't enter a property to remove bulky items under any circumstances.
Ensure items are left in a sheltered location, or are covered (for example, by plastic sheeting), in case of bad weather.
Ideally, put your items out by 7.00am on your collection day. Leaving items out in advance increases the chance of them becoming wet or saturated, which may prevent them being collected, and you may not be eligible for a refund.
Note: You don't need to be present at the time of collection.
Fridges, freezers and asbestos
We can help with removal of fridges and freezers.
We offer a bonded asbestos collection service on the same days as bulky items. However, you should allow a minimum of 5 working days for this.
Bulky items we cannot collect
Examples of items which cannot be collected include:
- trade or commercial waste (see further advice about commercial waste disposal responsibilities)
- builders' waste, such as plasterboard, rubble, masonry, marble, porcelain, bathroom suites (whole or broken down)
- chemicals, such as oil, paint, antifreeze
- domestic household waste, such as small household items, bagged waste that goes into a wheelie bin or bin bag
- garden waste, such as bags of leaves, cuttings, bushes, tree branches
- whole or damaged panes of glass, such as glass in a window frame or loose window panes, glass in a door frame (we can take glass that's part of another item, for example a microwave door, washing machine door, TV or monitor screen, as long as it's not broken)
- any soiled items, such as soiled mattresses, sofas or soft furnishings
- fluorescent tubes
- gas bottles
This is not a complete list; if required we can discuss what can or cannot be collected in more detail when you make your booking.
If items left out for collection don't match the items described at the time of booking we may not be able to collect them.
Bulky item collection days
We only collect items on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays according to the ward you live in.
Make sure you book a bulky item collection on the correct day for your ward.
- Haxby and Wigginton
- Huntington and New Earswick
- Rawcliffe and Clifton Without
- Dringhouses and Woodthorpe
- Rural West York
- Fulford and Heslington
- Heworth Without
- Hull Road
- Osbaldwick and Derwent Ward
Missed bulky collections
See details of how we deal with missed bulky waste collections.
Any missed collections should not be reported until the next working day following the agreed collection date.
Requesting a refund for a bulky item collection
We'll refund your bulky waste payment if your collection date is in:
- the future
- the past and we were unable to collect your item(s) due to operational issues, or we've rescheduled your collection to a date which isn't acceptable to you
We'll refund you by crediting the debit/credit card you made your original payment with.
We can't offer a refund if we attempted to collect your item(s) but were unable to so due to locked gates/blocked access/loose dogs.
We also can't offer a refund if your listed item(s):
- didn't match those left out for collection
- were soiled
- had been removed by a third party
Reusing or recycling household items
There are a number of ways you can reuse or recycle your household items:
- place in the re-use container at Hazel Court HWRC. Items are collected by The Recycle Project for reuse
- York Freecycle - offer items for free rather than throwing them away
- British Heart Foundation - collect furniture and electrical items free of charge
- York Community Furniture Store - collect furniture and electrical items free of charge - they supply furniture and electrical goods to local households, offering discounts for people with proof of low-income
- St Leonard's Hospice - donate items for resale in the charity shops