YorHome property letting agency is an ethical letting agency which operates from within the City of York Council.
We're a non-profit agency, meaning we don’t charge landlords or tenants any upfront fees. This allows people who have the means to pay rent, but can’t afford expensive upfront costs, to access the private rented sector.
If you're a tenant, there are certain responsibilities you have which vary depending on the type of tenancy you have. However, the basic rules and responsibilities are the same for different tenancies.
Tenant responsibilities include:
- providing documents for a right to rent check - your landlord has to check you have the right to rent a home
- paying rent on time
- looking after your home
- asking permission when needed - for example if you want to get a lodger or make improvements
- taking responsibility for behaviour - you should not behave in an antisocial or aggressive way towards neighbours, your landlord or letting agency
- keeping to the rules of your tenancy - if your tenancy agreement states no pets allowed, you cannot have a pet
- following rules on smoking and vaping
- ending your tenancy properly - you may still be liable for rent if you don't
See further information on the rights and responsibilities of private renting, and how to deal with landlords and letting agents:
- Landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities in the private rented sector (GOV.UK)
- Private renting (Shelter)
If you have a licence rather than a tenancy, you may not have all of these rights. Get advice if you're not sure whether you're a tenant or a licensee.
Responsibility for repairs
Tenants are responsible for:
- keeping the property clean
- not damaging the property, and making sure your guests don’t either
- carrying out minor maintenance, such as replacing smoke alarm batteries
- carrying out minor repairs relating to internal decorations, gardens and furniture
- using the heating properly
- not blocking flues or ventilation
Emergency out of hours repairs
If you have a housing repair emergency out of hours, call the Repairs Team on telephone: 01904 630405.
The out of hours number is for absolute emergencies only. It is not a free service, and any non-emergencies will be charged back to the tenant.
Difficulty paying YorHome rent
If you're having difficulty paying your rent, contact YorHome as soon as possible.
You risk losing your home if your rent payments are not received by your landlord.
Property letting agency