Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Waste and recycling

Waste guidelines for HMOs

HMO licensing changes which came into force on 1 October 2018 mean landlords have to provide facilities for storing and disposing of household waste, recycling and garden waste (garden waste can be collected using our Garden Waste Subscription Scheme).

Landlords of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) are expected to:

  • plan for waste storage at their properties when applying for a HMO licence
  • make arrangements for the proper storage of bins and recycling boxes within the boundary of their properties
  • ensure bins and recycling boxes are stored in a neat and tidy manner
  • give waste collection information to tenants

Any loose waste stacked next to full bins, or bags piled in forecourts, will be taken as evidence that landlords haven't provided sufficient waste storage at their properties.

Buying bins for Houses in Multiple Occupation

When buying a bin through our Customer Centre, landlords need to check if their property is in a wheeled bin area, using our waste collection calendar.

If black bags for household waste collections are in use in your area, you won't be able to order a bin for your property.

We suggest providing storage bins for tenants to store their waste bags until the appropriate waste collection day, when tenants should place them in the correct location according to the instructions in our waste collection calendar.

Excess waste from Houses in Multiple Occupation

If tenants are struggling to cope with the amount of rubbish they produce, landlords can:

  • buy bigger bins for household waste at qualifying properties (at an additional charge)
  • contact our Customer Centre to discuss how we can help
  • use landlord waste permits to dispose of tenants' waste up to 3 times per year, per property at Hazel Court HWRC (note: this should not be waste from maintenance or improvement work on your property)

Commercial waste disposal by HMO landlords

Managing a HMO is regarded as a business, so any waste removed by landlords (excluding the use of landlord waste permits) is treated as commercial waste. Landlords must therefore register and pay to dispose of any waste brought to Hazel Court HWRC.

Landlords can apply for landlord waste permits to dispose of tenants' waste up to 3 times per year, per property, without charge.

You will need to provide evidence of an upper tier Waste Carrier's Licence to apply for these permits and use the weighbridge when taking material to the HWRC.

Note: You shouldn't use these permits to dispose of waste from maintenance or improvement work to your property - this is considered as commercial waste and is chargeable.

Bulky waste collections

Landlords of HMOs are responsible for disposing of furniture or other bulky items left by tenants. Landlords must not leave 'house clearance' items outside their property boundaries or in forecourts for extended periods of time.

Contact our Customer Centre to our arrange a bulky waste collection. We can collect up to 10 bulky items at a time, however there is a charge for this service.

Also see

Waste, Highways and Environmental Services

Telephone: 01904 551551

Waste Calendar illustration, with red 'tick' icon marking a place within the dates.

Check your waste collection dates, the types of waste we collect at your address, and where to put your containers for collection.

Waste collection calendar