A 'Local Plan' sets strategic priorities for the whole city, forms the basis for planning decisions and must be reviewed at regular intervals to keep it up-to-date.
Pre-Publication draft Local Plan (Regulation 18 Consultation)
We are consulting on our Pre-Publication draft Local Plan and updated evidence base. This consultation presents the draft Local Plan incoporating planning policies for the city as well as the portfolio of site allocations to meet the city's development needs. The consultation also presents our updated evidence base to underpin the planning policies and site allocations.
The consultation runs for 6 weeks from Monday 18 September to Monday 30 October 2017.
How to respond to the draft Local Plan consultation
Look out for a special edition of Our City (the council’s newsletter), which York residents will be receiving soon.
We are holding drop-in sessions across the city throughout the consultation period:
- Monday 2 October - 3:00-7:30pm: Strensall and Towthorpe Village Hall, Strensall
- Wednesday 4 October - 3:00-7:30pm: Fulford Social Hall, Fulford
- Thursday 5 October - 3:00-7:00pm: Clifton Library, Clifton
- Monday 9 October- 3:00-7:30pm: Tang Hall Library, Tang Hall
- Wednesday 11 October - 3:00-7:30pm: West Offices, York City Centre
- Tuesday 17 October - 3:00-7:30pm: York Sport, Heslington
- Monday 16 October - 3:00-7:30pm: Acomb Explore Library, Acomb
- Wednesday 18 October - 3:00-7:00pm: Oaken Grove Community Centre, Haxby
During these sessions you will be able to view the documents, speak to officers and pick up a response form.
Responding to the consultation
Or, send us your comments by:
- downloading our response form and submitting it:
- By email
- By post to: FREEPOST RTEG-TYYU-KLTZ, City of York Council, West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA.
All responses must be received between 18 September and midnight on 30 October 2017.
Responses to this consultation should only relate to the sites, policies and/or information set out in the Pre-Publication draft Local Plan and updated evidence base.
Local Plan next steps
The purpose of the consultation is to enable the public and other interested parties to comment on policies and sites in the context of a full draft Local Plan. Any responses made to this consultation will be taken into consideration in drafting the next stage of the Local Plan.
The need for a new Local Plan
In 2005, a draft Local Plan document was approved for Development Management purposes to inform planning decisions.
We are currently working towards a new Local Plan that is fully compliant with the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) and other relevant statutes.
If we don’t adopt an up-to-date Local Plan, development will still happen, but decisions will be taken in regard to the NPPF without local people having a say on setting local policies. See our Local Plan frequently asked questions for further information.
Progress on the new Local Plan
Preparations so far have included:
- work towards a Local Development Framework (LDF) (between 2005 to 2012)
- a Preferred Options Local Plan and supporting documents consulted on in summer 2013
- a Further Sites document and consultation in June 2014
- updates to the evidence base, monitoring information and Sustainability Appraisals incorporating Strategic Environmental Assessment
- a publication draft Local Plan and proposals map considered by the Local Plan Working Group (see agenda item 8) and Cabinet (see agenda item 40) in September 2014. A motion was submitted to Full Council in October 2014, which halted proceeding to the Publication Draft consultation whilst further work was undertaken.
- a Local Plan Preferred Sites document (2016) and supporting evidence as approved by our Executive Members was consulted on between 18 July and 12 September 2016.
- a report was taken to our Local Plan Working Group on 23 January 2017 followed by Executive on 26 January 2017, regarding land in York identified for release by the MOD and the potential implications of this for the new Local Plan.
- we reported to our Local Plan Working Group on 10 July 2017 to update Members on work on the Ministry of Defence (MOD) sites and seek Members' views on progressing the Local Plan. Subsequently, the report was taken to Executive on 13 July 2017.
You can keep up-to-date with future reports by viewing our Local Plan Working Group agendas page. You can also contact us if you would like to be notified about future Local Plan consultations.