All updates about the Local Plan Examination process, timetable and other relevant information will be made available here.
Our Local Plan Examination Programme Officer
Contact our Local Plan Examination Programme Officer, Carole Crookes (Independent Programme Officer Solutions) via email: email@example.com, telephone: 07397 909822 or write to:
Independent Programme Officer Solutions
PO Box 789
Key information for the Local Plan Examination
Inspector Simon Berkeley (BA MA MRTPI) and Inspector Andrew McCormack (BSc(Hons) MRTPI) have been appointed by the Planning Inspectorate to conduct the examination into the City of York Local Plan to determine whether it's sound.
- Local Plan Examination Library - documents, statements and other correspondence issued after submission on 25 May 2018
- Core Document and Evidence Base Library - up to 25 May 2018: documents, plans, strategies and evidence that informed the Local Plan up to submission, including Regulation 19 Consultation responses
- Local Plan Pre-Publication Draft - as available during consultation from 21 February to 4 April 2018; also view the interactive Policies map
- General information and advice from the Planning Inspectorate about Local Plans and the examination process
Examination news and updates
View correspondence and updates relating to the examination as follows:
11 October 2021: The Council submitted the representations made during the consultation period to the Inspectors in early September. The Inspectors are currently considering all those representations alongside their other work commitments. The Inspectors will respond to the Council when they are in a position of being able to do so.
25 May 2021: The City of York Council has published additional evidence for public consultation. Further information, copies of the documents being consulted on and details of how to make a representation is available on the Local Plan Modifications and Evidence Base Consultation webpage.
11 May 2021: The Council has written to the Inspectors (EX/CYC/60) setting out initial details about when the second Regulation 19 consultation will commence and which documents will be open for comment. The consultation is due to commence on 25 May 2021 for a period of six weeks.
Please note – the Inspectors reiterate that they will NOT accept any comments/representations before the start of the Regulation 19 consultation. Anything submitted before the start of the consultation will be returned to the sender.
7 May 2021: The Inspectors have written to the Council (EX/INS/24) acknowledging receipt of the additional evidence from the Council. It also states that they share the Council’s desire to commence the public consultation exercise as soon as possible and requests that the Council notify the Inspectors by the 10 May 2021 of the proposed start date.
6 May 2021: As agreed the Council submitted the outstanding evidence to the Inspectors by the deadline of 30 April 2021. The Council submitted a covering letter (EX/CYC/55), SHLAA update (EX/CYC/56), SuDs Guidance (EX/CYC/57), Composite Modifications Schedule (EX/CYC/58) and the remaining annexes for TP1 Green Belt. To avoid confusion, the previously submitted annexes have been renumbered so that the main document and annexes are all together as a suite of documents: TP1 Addendum (EX/CYC/59), Annex 1: Evidence Base (EX/CYC/59a), Annex 2:Outer Boundary (EX/CYC/59b), Annex 3 Part 1: Inner Boundary (EX/CYC/59c), Annex 3 Part 2: Inner Boundary (EX/CYC/59d), Annex 3 Part 3: Inner Boundary (EX/CYC/59e), Annex 4: Other Developed Areas (EX/CYC/59f), Annex 5: Freestanding Sites (EX/CYC/59g), Annex 6: Proposed Modifications (EX/CYC/59h), Annex 7: Housing Supply Update (EX/CYC/59i) and Annex 7: Housing Supply Update – Trajectory (EX/CYC/59j)
1 April 2021: As agreed, the Council submitted further evidence in relation to the Gren Belt by the deadline of 31 March 2021. The documents include a covering letter to the Inspectors (EX/CYC/54), Topic Paper 1: Approach to defining Green Belt (Addendum) January 2021 – Annex 3 Part 1 Sections 1-4 (EX/CYC/54a) and Topic Paper 1: Approach to defining Green Belt (Addendum) January 2021 – Annex 5 Freestanding Sites (EX/CYC/54b). The outstanding evidence is due 30 April 2021.
- 3 March 2021: The Inspectors have responded to the Council’s letters of the 25 and 26 February 2021 with a letter dated 3 March 2021 (EX/INS/23), which refers to PINS’ guidance note on virtual hearings v4 (EX/INS/23a)
- 1 March 2021: The Council responded to the Inspectors’ letter of 25 February, later the same day (EX/CYC/51) and also submitted ‘Topic Paper 1: Approach to defining Green Belt (Addendum) January 2021 – Annex 2’ (EX/CYC/52). The Council then submitted a further letter to the Inspectors dated 26 February 2021 (EX/CYC/53).
- 25 February 2021: The Inspectors have written to the Council regarding receipt of the green belt annexes (EX/INS/22).
- 29 January 2021: The Inspectors sent a letter to the Council (document EX/INS/21) in response to the further evidence submitted by the Council. The letter seeks to establish a timetabled way forward for the Plan.
- 15 January 2021: In accordance with the Inspectors’ letter of the 18 December 2020, the Council provided its response (EX/CYC/48). The response included further information/evidence: Statement of Community Involvement Update November 2020 (EX/CYC/49), Topic Paper 1: Approach to defining Green Belt (Addendum) January 2021 (EX/CYC/50) and Annex 1 (EX/CYC/50a), Annex 2 (EX/CYC/50b), Annex 3 (EX/CYC/50c) and Annex 4 (EX/CYC/50d). Representors are reminded that at the current time the Inspectors will not be accepting any further comments in relation to these (or any other) documents.
- 11 January 2021: The Inspectors have written to the Council (EX/INS/20) stating that their letter of the 18 December 2020 must be added to the examination library immediately.
- 11 January 2021: The Council submitted further documents to the Inspectors on 22 December 2020: a covering letter from the Council to the Inspectors (EX/CYC/44), the Habitat Regulations Assessment December 2020 (EX/CYC/45) and Appendices (EX/CYC/45a), Key Diagram update (EX/CYC/46) and the Proposed Post-Hearings (Stage One) Modifications December 2020 (EX/CYC/47).
- 18 December 2020: The Inspectors have sent a letter to the Council (EX/INS/19) and have requested that the Council responds to it by Friday 15 January 2021. (The letter and this update was not added to the examination webpage by the Council until 11 January 2021)
- 13 October 2020: The Inspectors have written to the Council regarding additional evidence (EX/INS/17), which has been submitted and which is due to be submitted shortly. In their letter, the Inspectors have indicated that further consultation will be undertaken at a later date. Please note: The Inspectors have made it clear in their letter, that until they have received and considered the Green Belt documents, they will not be accepting any further comments from representors about the HNU or any other matters. Any unrequested comments submitted will be returned to the sender by the Programme Officer and not passed onto the Inspectors.
- 7 October 2020: City of York Council has written to the Inspectors (EX/CYC/43) in response to their letter (EX/INS/16) regarding the recently published 2018 household projections and the Inspectors’ letter (EX/INS/15) relating to proposed green belt boundaries in the Plan.
- 3 August 2020: The Council has written to the Inspectors (EX/CYC/42) to provide an update to some outstanding homework items and the Inspectors’ request for further information in relation to the publication of the 2018 household projections.
- 9 July 2020: The Inspectors have written to the City of York Council (EX/INS/16) regarding the newly published 2018 household projections. The Council have been asked to consider whether “the publication of the 2018-based household projections represents a ‘meaningful change’ in the housing situation from that which existed at the time of the Plan’s submission, the subsequent re-assessment of the OAHN in the Housing Needs Update (January 2019) and the relevant hearings in December 2019.” The Council have been asked to respond by Friday 31 July 2020. The Inspectors have specified that they are not seeking representations from participants at this stage and any unsolicited correspondence will be returned.
- 22 June 2020: Following on from the stage one hearings held in December 2019, on 12 June 2020 the Inspectors wrote a letter to the City of York Council (EX/INS/15) regarding the proposed green belt in the Local Plan. The City of York Council have now written a letter of response to the Inspectors (EX/CYC/40). Any further updates will be posted on this website.
- 8 June 2020:The Council have submitted further documents relating to the homework as agreed during the phase one hearings. The further documents have now been added to the Examination Library - Audit Trail of Sites 35-100 Hectares (EX/CYC/37), Joint Position Statement between CYC and Selby DC Housing Market Area April 2020 (EX/CYC/38), Green Belt Clarification Note June 2020 (EX/CYC/39) and its Appendix 1 Wedgewood vs City of York Council (EX/CYC/39a).
- 28 April 2020: COVID-19 UPDATE – In line with everywhere in the current times, there are issues with trying to carry on working as normal and it has to be acknowledged that there will be unavoidable delays regarding certain aspects of the examination. The Council had previously indicated that they would be able to submit the agreed evidence in accordance with the ‘homework schedule’ by 27 March 2020. However, since lockdown on 23 March the Council, along with the majority of the country, have experienced a great number of difficulties in trying to work as normal. The Council were unable to submit by the agreed date but they have continued to make progress on the preparation and submission of the evidence. The evidence will be made available on this webpage in due course. Please keep checking for updates.
- 6 March 2020: At the stage one hearings held in December 2019 the Council agreed to submit a number of additional documents, as set out in document EX/CYC/33. The Council has agreed to submit these documents to the Inspectors by 27 March 2020. Until all of this additional evidence is received by the Inspectors they are unable to consider the evidence submitted so far, publish their findings or set out a draft programme for moving forward. Please keep checking this page for updates.
- 10 December 2019: Phase 1 of the hearings into the examination of the City of York Local Plan commenced at York Racecourse. As documents are submitted to the examination, they will be added to the examination library, which may be accessed via the hyperlink further up this page. Please check the library for the most up-to-date list of documents.
- 5 December 2019: A number of Statements of Common Ground between the City of York Council and various parties have been added to the examination library.
- 2 December 2019: Statements which were received in paper copies by Friday have now been uploaded to the Local Plan Examination Library. Where a file refers to multiple questions within a matter the relevant section has been highlighted and saved to the specific session. The statement is saved in its entirety so that it may be seen in context. However, please do not rely on them being 100% accurate as human error may have unintentionally occurred. Please read the entire statement.
- 28 November 2019: The Inspectors have published a revised draft hearing programme (EX/INS/13) which contains participants for each session. The sessions are larger than what would be regarded as normal due to the number of people wishing to participate, therefore any changes would be very difficult to accommodate.
- 25 November 2019: In accordance with the Guidance Notes (EX/INS/8), the deadline for the receipt of paper copies of all statements relating to issues being discussed in weeks one and two must be received by the Programme Officer by midday on Friday 29 November 2019 at the latest (see above for postal address). Statements should be no longer than 3,000 words for each matter. Two paper copies (not bound) of each written statement should be sent to the Programme Officer. An electronic copy should also be provided by the deadline.
- 21 November 2019: The Inspectors have considered the comments made with regards the Matters, Issues and Questions (MIQs) and have published a response (document EX/INS/12). As a result, the Inspectors have amended the MIQs and now publish a new (and final) version (document EX/INS/11).
The Inspectors also request that parties who intend to submit Statements should make themselves aware of the changes to the referencing of some of the questions in the revised MIQs and they would appreciate use of the references as set out in the revised MIQs in their submitted Statements.
- 8 November 2019: The Inspectors’ Matters, Issues and Questions document (EX/INS/7) has been revised to correct a minor drafting error in Question 3.2 b) – the reference in the question to paragraph 138 of the Framework has been replaced by a reference to paragraph 84 of the Framework
- 8 November 2019: Following notification of the General Election to be held on 12 December 2019 the Planning Inspectorate has issued guidance stating that Local Plan examinations should proceed as planned. Therefore, the hearings into the City of York Local Plan will commence at 10.00 am on Tuesday 10 December 2019, as previously notified
- 28 October 2019: It is now confirmed that phase 1 of hearings of the City of York Local Plan will commence at 10.00am on Tuesday 10 December 2019 in the Gimcrack Room atYork Racecourse at Knavesmire Road, York YO23 1EX
For information, please note the following key dates:
- Monday 11 November, 5.00pm: Deadline for comments on the Inspectors’ matters schedule/hearings timetable (documents EX/INS/7 and EX/INS/9).
- Tuesday 19 November, 5.00pm: Deadline to confirm with the Programme Officer whether you wish to exercise the right to be heard.
- Friday 29 November, midday: Deadline for submission of statements.
- Tuesday 10 December, 10.00am: Hearing sessions open.
A note on how to get to York Racecourse is available, but this is just broad guidance. If you're attending the hearings, we advise you to check your own travel details and not rely solely on the information we've provided.
- 14 October 2019: The Inspectors have now considered all of the representations made during the consultation on the modifications, which ended on 22 July 2019. The Inspectors are now preparing for the first stage of hearings, which will address Duty to Co-operate, Green Belt and Housing Need. Provisional dates have been agreed for these initial hearings to be held on selected days over a two week period, commencing on Monday 9 December 2019 at York Racecourse. Those providing representations will be given the required formal notice when the dates and venue have been finalised.
- 19 September 2019: The additional round of consultation closed at the end of July. All the representations made have been sent to the Inspectors who are now considering them. Copies of individual representations which were received may be viewed at: www.york.gov.uk/LocalPlanProposedModificationsConsultation2019 or via the Examination Library references EX/CYC/21a-d. The Council is currently looking at suitable venues and availability for the first round of hearings to be held from late November/early December 2019 onwards. No firm dates have been agreed, but those providing representations will be notified a soon as possible when they have been; all timescales are 'anticipated'.
- 12 June 2019: In accordance with the inspectors' letter dated 7 May 2019 [EX/INS/6], on 10 June 2019, the Council published a number of documents for public consultation. The consultation period will run until midnight of 22 July 2019 and provides the opportunity for anyone to make representations on the specified documents but does not permit representation to be made on any other parts of the Local Plan. The Inspectors' letter stated that the consultation should include the following documents:
- The Council's proposed revised OAHN figure (And supporting evidence), but specifically including the Housing Needs Update by GL Hearn, dated January 2019 [EX/CYC/9], the proposed modifications schedule relating to the revised OAHN figure [EX/CYC/15], the SHLAA Figure 6 Update based on the revised OAHN figure [EX/CYC/16] and the updated Figure 5.1 and Table 5.2 Housing Trajectories based on the revised OAHN figure to 2033 [EX/CYC/17A] AND TO 2038 [EX/CYC/17b].
- The updated HRA (and supporting evidence), but specifically including the updated Annex C - 'Lower Derwent and Skipworth Common Visitor Survey' of the HRA, dated 19 February 2019 [EX/CYC/14c].
- The proposed changes to the Green Belt boundary (and supporting evidence), but specifically including the 'Addendum to Topic Paper 1 - The approach to defining York's Green Belt', dated March 2019 [EX/CYC/18] and the 'Addendum to TP1 Annex 6 - Proposed Modifications Schedule', dated March 2019 [EX/CYC/18a].
- The Council's proposed modifications to the submitted Local Plan arising from the above [EX/CYC/20].
- Information about the 2019 public consultation including the above, relevant supporting document and how to make a representation is available on the Council's webpage at: www.york.gov.uk/LocalPlanProposedModificationsConsultation2019.
- 30 May 2019: The Council submitted a letter to the Inspector [EX CYC 19] on 21 May 2019 setting out the proposed arrangements for the Local Plan Proposed Modifications Consultation.
- 9 May 2019: The Council received a letter from the Inspectors [EX/INS/6]. The letter acknowledges that there has been a substantial amount of further work undertaken by the Council since the City of York Local Plan was submitted for Examination last year. As much of this new evidence is fundamental to the soundness of the Local Plan, particularly the Council's overall approach to the Green Belt and the assessed OAHN figure the Inspectors have decided that it will be necessary for further public consultation to be undertaken to allow people to comment on all of the new evidence and the proposed modifications to the Plan put forward by the Council. The consultation should be open to the general public for a period of six weeks and should be undertaken as soon as possible. Further updates will be provided on this page as information becomes available.
- 11 March 2019: A report was considered by City of York Council's Executive on 7 March 2019 [EX CYC 12] and the recommendations of the report were approved. This includes the proposed modifications to the submitted Plan as a result of the updated Habitats Regulation Assessment following completion of the visitor survey requested by Natural England. The Council are to submit a modifications schedule along with the additional evidence comprising the updated HRA and the Topic Paper 1 (Approach to York’s Greenbelt) Addendum.
- 6 March 2019: The Inspectors sent a letter to the council [EX INS 4] on 12 February 2019. The Council sent an email to the Inspectors [EX CYC 10] seeking to clarify matters in the letter. Through the Programme Officer, the Inspectors issued further clarification questions [EX INS 5]. The Council sent a note of clarification to the Inspectors [EX CYC 11] on 18 February 2019 along with four attachments: Legal Advice from John Hobson QC From LPWG [EX CYC 11a] , SHLAA Figure 6 Detailed Housing Trajectory [EX CYC 11b], LP Figure 5 1 and Table 5 2 Version 1 Housing Trajectory Extended to 2037-38 [EX CYC 11c] and LP Figure 5 1 and Table 5 2 Version 2 Detailed Housing Trajectory Extended to 37-38 [EX CYC 11d].
- 31 January 2019: The Council submitted a letter to the Inspectors [EX/CYC/8] outlining progress on the submission of additional evidence, which has been requested by the Inspectors. The council has also submitted a Housing Need Update (January 2019)[EX/CYC/9] which has been prepared by G L Hearn. The council are currently exploring the availability of suitable venues for the initial hearings and representors will be written to when the details are confirmed. Details of the hearings will also be provided on this webpage.
- 14 January 2019: An initial letter [EX/INS/3] has been sent out to everyone who made a representation at the Pre-Publication stage. The Inspectors have decided that a phased approach will be taken to the hearings and that the first phase of hearings will deal with the Duty to Cooperate, the OAN and matters relating to Green Belt principle. It is anticipated that the initial hearings will be held in March 2019. However, it is stressed that this is merely anticipated and not yet finalised. In order to assist in preparing the draft hearings programme, representors must confirm no later than Friday 25 January 2019 whether or not they wish to take part in any of the hearings (not just the first phase)
- 17 December 2018: The Inspectors have sent a letter of response (EX/INS/2) to our letter on 14 November 2018 [EX/CYC/7]. (Please note that neither of these letters are open for public comment).
- 14 November 2018: The Council submitted a response to the Inspectors letter of 25 July 2018 [EX/CYC/7]. You can view the letter of response and its attachments - Duty to Co-operate Annexes [EX/CYC/7a], Addendum to Annex 4 of IDP [EX/CYC/7b], Errata addendum to IDP [EX/CYC/7c] and Figures 5.1 and 5.2 [EX/CYC/7d] - via links in the Examination Library.
- 14 November 2018: The Council responded by letter [EX/CYC/6] with an attachment [EX/CYC/6a] to Highway England’s Letter and technical note in relation to transport modelling.
- 17 September 2018: A letter [EX/CYCC/5] and technical note[EX/CYC5a] was sent from Highways England to the council in relation the transport modelling.
- 9 August 2018: The Council submitted an initial letter in response to the Inspectors’ letter of 25 July [EX/CYC/4].
- 25 July 2018: The Inspectors have written to the council setting out their initial observations on the soundness of the City of York Local Plan [document EX/INS/1 in the Examination Library] - please note that the Inspectors’ letter is not open for comment.
- 22 June 2018: The latest monitoring for York's housing consents and completions during year 2017-2018 [EX/CYC/3] released.
- 19 June 2018: The Council sent a letter in response to Natural England [EX/CYC/2] outlining further work being undertaken.
- 4 June 2018: The Council received a letter from Natural England [EX/CYC/1] detailing outstanding comments in relation to the Habitats Regulation Assessment (HRA).
- 25 May 2018: The Council received a letter from the Planning Inspectorate advising that in accordance with Section 20 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 (as amended) Inspector Simon Berkeley (BA MA MRTPI) and Inspector Andrew McCormack (BSc(Hons) MRTPI) have been appointed to conduct the examination to determine whether the City of York Local Plan is sound.