All updates about the Local Plan Examination process, timetable and other relevant information will be made available here.
Our Local Plan Examination Programme Officer
Contact our Local Plan Examination Programme Officer, Carole Crookes (Independent Programme Officer Solutions) via email: email@example.com, telephone: 07397 909822 or write to:
Independent Programme Officer Solutions
PO Box 789
Key information for the Local Plan Examination
Inspector Simon Berkeley (BA MA MRTPI) and Inspector Paul Griffiths BSc (Hons) BArch IHBC have been appointed by the Planning Inspectorate to conduct the examination into the City of York Local Plan to determine whether it's sound.
- Local Plan Examination Library - documents, statements and other correspondence issued after submission on 25 May 2018
- Core Document and Evidence Base Library - up to 25 May 2018: documents, plans, strategies and evidence that informed the Local Plan up to submission, including Regulation 19 Consultation responses
- Local Plan Pre-Publication Draft - as available during consultation from 21 February to 4 April 2018; also view the interactive Policies map
- Guidance on plan making - published in September 2018
- Short guide to Local Plan Examinations - Published December 2022
Examination news and updates:
Correspondence and updates relating to the examination from 2022.
See previous examination correspondence and updates from:
13 February 2023
Consultation on the proposed Main Modifications started on Monday 13 February 2023 and will run until Monday 27 March 2023.
All the relevant documentation and details on how to comment are available on the council website:
15 December 2022
The Council submitted a letter to the Inspectors (EX/CYC/121) and a paper relating to Provision for Gypsies, Travellers and Travelling Showpeople (EX/CYC/121a)
9 December 2022:
In response to the Inspectors’ email of 16 November the Council submitted a letter to the Inspectors (EX/CYC/120) and two supporting documents:
- EX/CYC/120a - Poppleton Neighbourhood Plan Green Belt Boundary – Council Response
- EX/CYC/120b - Green Belt Boundaries 9 December 2022.
29 November 2022
The Council submitted the Retail Strategic Sites Briefing Note – November 2022 (EX/CYC/119).
16 November 2022
The Council submitted a letter to the Inspectors regarding the next stage of the examination (EX/CYC/118). The Inspectors responded by way of an email (redacted) (EX/INS/43) and raised a number of issues in relation to provision for gypsies and travellers and travelling showpeople and green belt boundaries.
15 November 2022
The Council have submitted a letter to the Inspectors regarding site H59 and its Habitat Regulation Assessment (EX/CYC/117), Review of HRA implications of H59 (EX/CYC/117a) and associated Natural England Advice Note (EX/CYC/117b).
20 October 2022
As part of the Phase 3 hearings, Quod (on behalf of Langwith Developments) submitted a hearing statement in relation to Matter 7 (HS/P3/M7/EL/8). A Statement of Common Ground was later prepared and signed between CYC, Langwith Development and A1 Plant and Haulage in relation to site ST15.
Since then, it has come to light that the land ownership boundary plan in figures 1 and 2 of hearing statement and subsequent SoCG were incorrect. Quod, on behalf of Langwith, have submitted plans showing the agreed ownership changes and these have been added to the examination library in the Statement of Common Ground and Phase 3 hearing statements section.
For transparency, the redacted email thread has also been added:
- EX/SoCG/21c CYC Langwith Development and A1 Plant and Haulage, regarding ST15 Correction to EX/HS/P3/M7/EL/8 (redacted)
- EX/SoCG/21ci CYC Langwith Development and A1 Plant and Haulage, regarding ST15 Correction to EX/HS/P3/M7/EL/8 Fig 1
- EX/SoCG/21cii CYC Langwith Development and A1 Plant and Haulage, regarding ST15 Correction to EX/HS/P3/M7/EL/8 Fig 2
5 October 2022
A Statement of Common Ground between City of York Council and Askham Bryan College (EX/SoCG/25) has been added to the examination library.
21 September 2022
A report for the Housing and Community Safety Policy and Scrutiny Committee of 21 September 2022 (EX/CYC/116) has been added to the examination library.
20 September 2022
An updated draft hearing programme has been published – v.6 (EX/INS/41d)
Two other documents have been added to the examination:
- EX/CYC/115 Decision Notice for Leeman Road – Reserved Matters
- EX/CYC/115a Decision Notice for Leeman Road – Outline
13 September 2022
Following careful consideration by the Inspectors, it has been decided that the hearings programmed to commence on Tuesday 20 September 2022 will do so as planned, despite the previous day being a statutory holiday for Her Majesty’s funeral.
The Inspectors have published a revised draft hearing programme (v.5 13 September) (EX/INS/41c) but the hearings for Tuesday 20 September remain unchanged
9 September 2022
Following the sad news of the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, the Inspectors, following general guidance from the Planning Inspectorate, consider that the most appropriate course of action is to continue with the scheduled Phase 4 Hearings as planned, pending a review once arrangements for Her Majesty’s funeral are made known.
Please keep checking this webpage for any updates.
A number of documents have also been added to the examination library:
- EX/CYC/112 - Local Plan Traffic Forecasting File Note 5 September 2022
- EX/CYC/113 - Consolidated Policy Map Modifications September 2022
- EX/SoCG/21b - Errata Note in relation to Langwith Development
- EX/SoCG/23 - Statement of Common Ground between CYC and University of York
- EX/SoCG/24 - Statement of common Ground been CYC and Historic England
- EX/OTH/33 - Email from JLL obo NHS Property re Tree Preservation Order at sports club/Lime Trees
- EX/HS/P4/M2/UoY Doc 5a - ONeill obo University of York (Amended) (The difference between the initial submission and the updated version is that the first version was marked draft and didn’t have the appendices or some footnote references to sources
6 September 2022
A revised draft hearing programme has been published (v.4) (EX/INS/41b).
1 September 2022
A revised draft hearing programme, which includes participants, has been published (EX/INS/41a).
1 September 2022
The hearing statements submitted in relation to the phase 4 hearings are available to view and download from the Examination Library.
The Council also submitted:
- EX/CYC/108 Presentation on Local Transport Strategy
- EX/CYC/109 SuD Guidance for Developers
- EX/CYC/110 Letter to the Inspectors dated 31 August 2022
- EX/CYC/111 Proposed Modifications Schedule 31 August 2022
24 August 2022
The Council submitted additional supporting information:
- EX/CYC/104 - Draft Climate Change Strategy June 2022
- EX/CYC/105 - Draft Economic Strategy June 2022
- EX/CYC/106 - Air Quality Annual Status Report June 2022
- EX/CYC/107 - Supplementary Information Cover Letter 23 August 2022
- EX/CYC/107/1 - Housing Trajectory Note August 2022
- EX/CYC/107/2 - Affordable Housing Note August 2022
- EX/CYC/107/3 - Student Housing Policy H7 Note August 2022
- EX/CYC/107/4 - SH1 Land at Heworth Croft Capacity Note August 2022
- EX/CYC/107/5 - Planning Applications and Appeals on Allocated Sites Note August 2022
- EX/CYC/107/6 - Additional Details Related to Various Housing Allocations Note August 2022
- EX/CYC/107/7 - Status of Employment Allocations identified in Policy EC1 Note August 2022
- EX/CYC/107/8 - Infrastructure Gantt Chart May 2022 Revised August 2022
1 August 2022
The Inspectors have been made aware of a minor typographical error in question 2.9 of the recently published MIQs, it should refer to policy SS22 rather than SS2. A revised MIQ document has now been issued (EX/INS/42a), which supersedes EX/INS/42.
During the Matter 4 (iii) hearing session Airedon (on behalf of Mr Harrison) submitted a position statement regarding site ST14 (EX/OTH/30).
In the same session, during the break the representatives for both Mr Harrison and TW Fields left after the conclusion of ST14. However, one participant was not aware that it had been concluded and raised a further issue after the break. Out of fairness to all, the Inspectors asked both parties to review the recording and submit any responses in writing. Airedon, on behalf of Mr Harrison, submitted a response (EX/OTH/31) with PB Planning (on behalf of TW Fields) responded (EX/OTH/32).
29 July 2022
The Inspectors have published version 2 of the Draft Hearing Programme (EX/INS/41) and the Matters, Issues and Questions (EX/INS/42) in relation to Phase 4 of the hearing sessions, which will commence at 10.00 am on Tuesday 6th September 2022. The deadline to register to participate in the hearings sessions is 12.00 noon on Friday 19th August and the deadline for the submission of hearing statements is 12.00 noon on Wednesday 31st August 2022.
Two other documents have also been added to the examination library:
- EX/CYC/102 R. (Liverpool Open and Green Spaces Community Interest Co) v Liverpool City Council
- EX/CYC/103 Samuel Smith v North Yorkshire 2020 P.T.S.R. 221
27 July 2022
The following document has been added to the examination library:
- EX/CYC/101 Natural England letter 26 July 2022 regarding ST15
Some historic background documents have also been added in relation to ST14:
- EX/OTH/29a ST14 Baker Consultants technical briefing note 27 January 2014
- EX/OTH/29b ST14 Arup Clifton Gate Flood Risk Assessment 6 October 2014
- EX/OTH/29c ST14 Arup Clifton Gate Utilities Report 10 October 2014
- EX/OTH/29d ST14 Barnes Clifton Gate Arboricultural 5 April 2014
- EX/OTH/29e ST14 GSB Clifton Gate Geophysics 5 February 2014
- EX/OTH/29f ST14 YAT Clifton Gate Archaeology 19 July 2013
26 July 2022
A revised draft hearing programme (EX/INS/40c) has been published which shows the recent agreed changes to some hearing sessions.
26 July 2022
Sites ST8 and ST9 were originally programmed to be discussed during the afternoon session of Monday 25 July. However, due to the lack of time it was agreed by the Inspector, Council and the participants for those sites that they will be dealt with after ST15 on Tuesday 26 July instead. This does not affect the start time of Matter 7 (ST15).
A further Statement of Common Ground has been added to the examination library:
- EX/SoCG/22 CYC and Vistry Homes regarding ST9.
25 July 2022
A further Statement of Common Ground has been added:
- EX/SoCG/21 CYC, Langwith Development and A1 Plant and Haulage regarding ST15 and its appendix EX/SoCG/21a
Two further Statements of Common Ground have been added:
- EX/SoCG/19 CYC, Barratt Homes, Taylor Wimpey and TW Fields regarding ST7
- EX/SoCG/20 CYC, Barratt Homes, Taylor Wimpey and TW Fields regarding ST14
Also, it has been brought to the Council’s attention that EX/CYC/93 Phase 3 Proposed Modifications has some text missing (probably due to conversion to PDF). A corrected version (EX/CYC/93a) has been submitted and added to the Examination Library and now supersedes EX/CYC/93.
The Council have submitted two Statements of Common Ground:
- EX/SoCG/17 CYC, Redrow Homes and Others regarding ST8
- EX/SoCG/18 CYC and Persimmon Homes regarding ST4
The Phase 4 hearings will commence at 10.00am on Tuesday 6 September, and will be held in The Citadel, Gillygate, York YO31 7EA. It is anticipated that they will run for three weeks. Details are set out in the Phase 4 notice of commencement (EX/CYC/100). A draft hearing programme was published previously (EX/INS/39) but a revised programme and the Inspectors’ Matters, Issues and Questions for Phase 4 will be issued shortly. The Inspectors would like to remind representors that the content (except for the hearing dates) of the Guidance Note (EX/INS/32) issued alongside the Matters, Issues and Questions for the Phase 2 hearings still applies.
21 July 2022
The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) sent a letter to the Inspectors (EX/OTH/28) regarding the Statement of Common Ground between DIO, the Council and Natural England (EX/SoCG/16).
The Council submitted viability assessments for the following sites:
- EX/CYC/99a – Viability Assessment of ST 7
- EX/CYC/99b – Viability Assessment of ST 14
- EX/CYC/99c – Viability Assessment of ST 15
20 July 2022
The Council have added a document from Natural England in relation to Defence Infrastructure Organisation’s hearing statement relating to Matter 5 and the Queen Elizabeth Barracks (EX/CYC/98).
20 July 2022
The Council has submitted a number of documents:
- EX/CYC/96 H1 Policy Modifications
These documents relate to site H50 – Queen Elizabeth Barracks
- EX/CYC/97 Holohan2019 Env. L.R. 16
- EX/SoCG/16 Statement of Common Ground between CYC, DIO and Natural England
- EX/SoCG/16a Statement of Common Ground between CYC, DIO and Natural England - Errata Note
The Matter 5 hearing session was due to commence at 9.30 on Thursday 21 July, however, a participant has requested that due to travel issues being caused by the extreme heat, that the start time be changed to 10.00am. The Inspectors have agreed to this change.
The Matter 5 hearing session will now commence at: 10.00am on Thursday 21 July 2022.
19 July 2022
The Inspectors have published a revised draft hearing programme (EX/INS/40b) which relates to minor changes to the list of participants.
The 15 July 2022 judgement in relation to Ronald Wyatt has also been added (EX/CYC/95)
Matter 6 concluded early and so there will not be any session this afternoon (Tuesday 19 July 2022).
As the extreme heat may still be an issue for the next few days, the Inspectors suggest that informal may be appropriate for the rest of this week.
18 July 2022
The Inspectors would like everyone attending the hearing sessions to feel as comfortable as possible, and so due to the extreme weather warning forecast for Tuesday, they suggest that the etiquette of wearing formal clothing (a suit and tie, etc.) be dispensed with in favour of lighter and cooler clothing.
14 July 2022
CYC’s Executive Report and Decision dated 19 May 2022 was added to the examination library (EX/CYC/94).
Two Statements of Common Ground have been added to the examination library:
- SoCG between the Council and York St. John University (EX/SoCG/14)
- SoCG between the Council and St. Peter’s School (EX/SoCG/15)
13 July 2022
The Inspectors have confirmed that the hearing session into Matter 3 (Student Housing) will commence, as programmed, at 9.30 am on Thursday 14 July 2022 at the York City Church (The Citadel), Gillygate, York. YO31 7EA.
The University of York Campus East decision 2007 (EX/OTH/25) has been added to the examination library as it is referred to in the University of York’s hearing statement (HS/P3/M2/U&C/8b UoY ONeill (Revised)).
Also added are UoY Students New Entrants by Department (EX/OTH/26) and UoY Students by College (EX/OTH/27).
12 July 2022
The University of York has submitted another revised version of its Matter 2 hearing statement (HS/P3/M2/U&C/8b UoY ONeill (Revised)). This document supersedes to two previous versions.
The Inspectors previously agreed that, due to the recent publication of the Council’s Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment, the York Travellers Trust be granted an extension to the deadline for submission of their Matter 9 hearing statement. The hearing statement has now been submitted (HS/P3/M9/G&T/6).
Phase 3 of the hearing sessions of the public examination of the City of York Local Plan opened at 10.00am at York City Church (The Citadel), Gillygate, York, YO31 7EA. The hearings may be viewed in person from the public gallery at the venue or from the Council’s YouTube channel. Recordings will be added as soon as possible after the end of each session.
Due to an error uploading to the examination library, Appendix 1 of the Council’s Matter 1 hearing statement (HS/P3/M1/AHP/1a App1 CYC), which relates to Affordable Housing Policy, was not uploaded. However, that error has now been corrected.
11 July 2022
The hearing statement from the University of York in relation to Matter 2 has been revised due to some late requests from the Council to clarify some of the University’s evidence (HS/P3/M2/U&C/8a UoY ONeill (Revised)). The revision relates to Appendix C - Briefing Note on Growth Scenarios.v2 (Stephen Nicol of Nicol Economics)
11 July 2022
The Council submitted a schedule of proposed modifications for phase 3 (EX/CYC/93).
8 July 2022
The Inspectors have published revised draft hearing programme listing participants (EX/INS/40a).
The Council requested that a number of documents be added to the examination library:
- EX/SoCG/13 - Statement of Common Ground between CYC and National Highways (In relation to phase 3)
- EX/CYC/89 - ST15 Sustainable Transport Study
- EX/CYC/90 - National Highways and CYC Modelling Tools
- EX/CYC/91 - Comparative Effects of Different Spatial Distributions
- EX/CYC/92 - Local Housing Needs Assessment July 2022
Fulford Parish Council requested the following document be added to the examination library:
7 July 2022
All of the hearing statements in response to the Inspectors Matters, Issues and Questions (EX/INS/37c) are available to view and download from the Examination Library.
Also, the Council has submitted a Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (EX/CYC/88).
30 June 2022
The Inspectors published the draft hearing programme, which includes participants, for the phase 3 hearings (EX/INS/40). The Council also submitted the following reports, as agreed at the phase 2 hearings sessions:
- Local Plan Forecasting (EX/CYC/87)
- City of York Local Transport Plan Modelling ‘Transport Impact Assessment Report (EX/CYC/87a)
27 June 2022
The Council submitted a series of assessments relating to document EX/CYC/76 – Housing Supply Update 16 May 2022:
- EX/CYC/76b - Appendix 4 Part 1 - Major Sites with Consent
- EX/CYC/76c - Appendix 4 Part 2 - Major Sites (Allocations) Consent
- EX/CYC/76d - Appendix 4 Part 3 - Approved Communal Est Sites
- EX/CYC/76e - Appendix 4 Part 4 - Allocations No Consent - Non-strategic
- EX/CYC/76f - Appendix 4 Part 5 - Allocations No Consent - Strategic Sites
- EX/CYC/76g - Appendix 4 Part 6 - Resolution to Grant
- EX/CYC/76h - Appendix 4 Part 7 - Communal Estabs No Consent
24 June 2022
The Council has submitted the following updates:
- EX/CYC/76a responses to representations made to EX/CYC/76 Housing Land Supply Update
- EX/CYC/79a briefing note on responses to EX/CYC/79
- EX/CYC/86 update to Green Belt Topic Paper 1: Annex 7
15 June 2022
The Inspectors have published a revised set of Matters, Issues and Questions (MIQs) (EX/INS/37c) which make changes to Matters 5 and 8 and a revised Phase 3 Draft Hearing Programme (EX/INS/38a) which make changes to the description of the issues to be covered on 20 and 21 July.
13 June 2022
The Inspectors have published Revision B of the MIQs (EX/INS/37b) as they now include a Matter 10.
10 June 2022
The Inspectors published a revised draft hearing programme for the phase 3 hearing sessions (EX/INS/38) to accommodate the availability of a number of key participants for a particular Matter. Please note that it is this version (EX/INS/38) which has been emailed and posted to all representors. The deadline for registration to participate in the phase 3 hearings is 12 noon on Friday 24 June 2022.
The Inspectors also published the initial draft hearing programme for the phase 4 hearing sessions (EX/INS/39) which are due to commence on 6 September 2022. It should be noted that the programme for phase 4 may change as a result of the phase 3 hearings sessions. Participants will be contacted after the phase 3 hearings regarding registration to participate in the phase 4 hearings.
7 June 2022
The Inspectors published the initial draft hearing programme (EX/INS/38) (Note added 10 June - this document has been superseded and so the link has been removed) for the hearing sessions for both phase 3 and phase 4.
6 June 2022
The Inspectors have revised the Matters, Issues and Questions (MIQs), originally published on 1 June 2022. The revisions to the MIQs (EX/INS/37a), correct errors and relate solely to information about Transitional Arrangements (page 2, paragraph 2) and does not relate to any of the actual matters, issues or questions.
1 June 2022
The Inspectors have published the Matters, Issues and Questions (MIQs) (EX/INS/37) for the issues being addressed in Phase 3 of the hearings. The deadline for submission of hearing statements is 12.00 Tuesday 5 July 2022.
1 June 2022
The following responses have been received in relation to EX/CYC/79:
- HS/P2/M6/IR/2a York Civic Trust
- HS/P2/M6/IR/3a York Bus Forum
- HS/P2/M6/IR/4a Defence Infrastructure Organisation
- HS/P2/M6/IR/5a York Environment Forum
- HS/P2/M6/IR/7a Fulford Parish Council
- HS/P2/M6/IR/14a York Labour Party
Fulford Parish Council has also submitted document EX/OTH/22 in response to document EX/CYC/84 regarding the Council’s sustainability assessment.
27 May 2022
It is now confirmed that phase 3 of the examination hearing of the City of York Local Plan will commence at 10.00am on Tuesday 12 July 2022, and will be held in The Citadel, Gillygate, York YO31 7EA. For further details, please refer to the notice of commencement (EX/CYC/85).
26 May 2022
The in-person and virtual hearing sessions relating to Phase 2 of the Examination were concluded by the Inspectors on 26 May 2022.
Following the 18 May 2022 update, further statements were received in relation to the documents EX/CYC/76 and EX/CYC/77.
- Defence Infrastructure Organisation - HS/PS/M5/HLS/6a, HS/PS/M5/HLS/6a(i) and HS/PS/M5/HLS/6a(ii)
- British Sugar - HS/P2/M5/HLS/7a
- Gladman - HS/P2/M5/HLS/10a
- L and Q Estates - HS/P2/M5/26a
The Council submitted documents in relation to an issue raised during Matter 4 of the virtual sessions, the Poppleton Neighbourhood Plan (EX/CYC/82) and an associated appeal decision for land at Boroughbridge Road (EX/CYC/83).
The Council provided a response (EX/CYC/84, EX/CYC/84a, EX/CYC/84b, EX/CYC/84c and EX/CYC/84d) to Fulford Parish Council’s Sustainability Assessment (EX/OTH/20).
25 May 2022
In addition to the documents already mentioned below, for clarification, the following documents have also been added to the Examination Library during the Phase 2 Hearing Sessions (since 10 May 2022)
City of York Council Documents:
- EX/CYC/73 - Opening speech by the City of York Council
- EX/CYC/74 - Regina (Friends of the Earth Ltd and another) v Secretary of State for Transport
- EX/CYC/75 - R. (on the application of Blewett) v Derbyshire CC
- EX/CYC/78 - Air Quality Monitoring Note 16 May 2022
- EX/CYC/79 - Phase 2 Infrastructure Note May 2022
- EX/CYC/80 - CYC Air Quality Annual Status Report 18 May 2022 incl Appendix
- EX/CYC/81 - TCPA – Guide 1: Locating and Consenting New Garden Cities
- EX/OTH/20 - Fulford Parish Council Sustainability Assessment 11 May 2022
- EX/OTH/21 - Note on 5-year supply Galtres Garden Villages
Statements of Common Ground:
- EX/SoCG/9 - CYC and Environment Agency
- EX/SoCG/10 - CYC and National Highways in relation to Phase 2
- EX/SoCG/11 - CYC and Barratt Homes, Taylor Wimpey and TW Fields re ST7 16 May 22 incl Appendix A
- EX/SoCG/12 - CYC and Barratt Homes and TW Fields re ST14 16 May 22 incl Appendix A
25 May 2022
Responses to CYC’s Local Plan Infrastructure Delivery Strategy: Update Note for Phase 2 Local Plan Independent Examination (EX/CYC/79). As part of Matter 6, CYC submitted an updated infrastructure paper EX/CYC/79 on 18 May which was discussed at examination on 24 May. Some participants said that they wished to put in written responses to that update.
The Inspectors have asked that any further statements from other parties in response to CYC’s EX/CYC/79 should be submitted to the Examination by close of play on 31 May so that there is ample time for the Council to consider them and respond in writing together with producing updated and site specific material for Phase 3. There is no need to repeat matters that were stated during the examination. As with any written representation on the housing trajectory update, the Council intends to respond by about 10 June in good time for Phase 3.
18 May 2022
Responses to Housing Supply and Windfall Technical Paper updates (EX/CYC/76 and EX/CYC/77). As part of Matter 5, CYC submitted revised Housing Supply and Windfalls papers which were discussed at examination on 17 May. Some participants said that they wished to put in written responses since the new documents had only been provided on 16 May. DIO (Avison Young) said that it would take them a few days to update their earlier response.
The Inspectors have asked that any further statements from other parties in response to CYC’s updated papers should be submitted to the Examination by the close of Phase 2 on Thursday 26 May so that there is ample time for the Council to consider them and respond in writing together with producing updated and site specific material for Phase 3. There is no need to repeat matters that were stated during the examination. The Council intends to respond by about 10 June in good time for Phase 3.
16 May 2022
The Council submitted two revised documents in relation to housing supply: Housing Supply Update dated 16 May 2022 (EX/CYC/76) and Windfall Update Technical Paper 2022 (EX/CYC/77)
10 May 2022
The hearing sessions for Phase 2 of the examination into the soundness of the City of York Local Plan opened at 10.00am today. The hearings are being held in public at the York City Church (The Citadel), Gillygate, York, YO31 7EA in accordance with the notice of commencement (EX/CYC/72). The draft hearing programme (EX/INS/35a) provides details of the sessions, the Matters to be discussed and participants for each session. Please note that this document may change so please check for the latest version. All sessions will be recorded and uploaded, as soon as possible after they have ended, to the Council’s YouTube page at: https://www.youtube.com/user/cityofyorkcouncil where they may be viewed.
4 May 2022
For further clarification, the Council submitted a revised document for its Appendix 2 to Matter 6 of the hearing statements (HS/P2/M6/IR/1b(i)). It provides a few corrections and includes two new appraisal sheets as appendices to the original document.
28 April 2022
The Inspectors published their latest version of the draft hearing programme for the phase 2 hearings, which includes participants for each session (EX/INS/35). If there are any issues, please contact the Programme Officer as soon as possible.
31 March 2022
The deadline for the submission of hearing statements has now passed and all hearing statements received have been uploaded to the Examination Library.
25 March 2022
The Inspectors would like to remind people about the Guidance Note issued alongside the Matters, Issues and Questions for the Phase 2 hearings. Its content still applies, except for the hearing dates. The Phase 2 hearings will now commence at 10.00am on Tuesday 10 May, and will be held in The Citadel, Gillygate, York YO31 7EA. Please refer to the attached notice of commencement (EX/CYC/72). The Inspectors have issued a detailed timetable (EX/INS/34).
The Inspectors’ Guidance Note (EX/CYC/32) sets out the broad content for Phase 3 and 4 hearings. Dates for the Phase 3 hearings have now been agreed ‘in principle’ with the Council. It is anticipated that they will start on 11 July and will run for three weeks. It is likely that the Phase 4 hearings will start on Tuesday 6 September. These dates remain subject to final agreement and may change, but the Inspectors wish to give everyone concerned an early indication of the likely timetable going forward. Firm dates and detailed timetables for both the Phase 3 and Phase 4 hearings will be issued in due course, as will be the Inspectors’ Matters, Issues and Questions for each phase.
13 March 2022
The Planning Inspectorate has written to the Council to confirm that Inspector Andrew McCormack will no longer be able to hold the independent examination of the City of York Council Local Plan. In accordance with section 20(4) of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 Paul Griffiths BSc (Hons) BArch IHBC has been appointed alongside Simon Berkeley BA MA MRTPI to hold an independent examination of the City of York Local Plan.
3 March 2022
Unfortunately, due to sudden health issues with one of the Inspectors, the start of the Phase 2 hearings sessions has had to be postponed. The Phase 2 hearing sessions will NOT commence on Tuesday 15 March 2022. However, it is anticipated that the hearing sessions may commence at the end of April but this is subject to the availability of accommodation, etc. When a new date has been confirmed for the start of the Phase 2 hearing sessions formal notifications will be issued.
Also, as the start has been postponed the date for submission of hearing statements has also been amended. The new date for submission of the hearing statements is Monday 28 March 2022. If anyone who has already submitted a statement wishes to withdraw it and submit a revised one in accordance with the new deadline, please contact the Programme Officer.
14 February 2022
In light of responses that have been received on the scope of the MIQs published by the Inspectors on 2 February 2022, the Inspectors have published a Revised Schedule of MIQs (EX/INS/30]. The revised MIQs include some additional or amended questions and other amendments and points of clarification. These have been provided, where appropriate, following consideration of responses made to the Inspectors Schedule of MIQs published on 2 February 2022. As a result, there are also a Revised Guidance Note for Participants [EX/INS/32] and an update to the latest draft of the Phase 2 Hearings Schedule [EX/INS/31].
As a result of these amendments and updates, the deadline for the submission of hearing statements responding to the revised Schedule of MIQS has been extended to 5.00pm, Friday 4 March 2022.
3 February 2022
The Inspectors have now published their Matters, Issues and Questions (MIQs) (EX/INS/26), Draft Phase 2 Hearing Programme (EX/INS/27) and Guidance Notes for Phases 2 to 4 (EX/INS/28). As set out in the guidance note the key dates for the Phase 2 hearing sessions are:
- Deadline for comments on MIQs and Draft Phase 2 Hearing Programme: 12 noon on Wednesday 9 February 2022
- Deadline to confirm with Programme Officer that you wish to exercise the right to be heard if you made a relevant representation seeking a change to the Plan, indicating the appropriate Matter and the hearing session (including either ‘in person’ or ‘virtual’) that you wish to attend: 4.00pm on Wednesday 16 February 2022
- Deadline for submission of one electronic and two paper copies of Phase 2 Hearing Statements (including from the Council) to the Programme Officer: 4.00pm on Wednesday 2 March 2022
- Phase 2 in-person hearing sessions open: postponed.
- Phase 2 virtual hearing sessions open: 9.30am on Monday 28 March 2022.
28 January 2022
It is now confirmed that phase 2 of the examination hearing of the City of York Local Plan will commence at 10.00am on Tuesday 15 March 2022 (now postponed) in the Gimcrack Rooms at York Racecourse. Please refer to the attached notification (EX/CYC/71)
27 January 2022
The council has submitted an updated version of the Infrastructure Requirements Gantt Chart (EX/CYC/70)
5 January 2022
In December, the Council submitted an updated version of the Housing Trajectory (EX/CYC/69)