Disposing of hazardous waste

Some types of household hazardous waste can be taken to our two household waste recycling centre (HWRC) sites, at Hazel Court (city centre) and Towthorpe (Strensall).

Residents with vans or trailers will need to apply for permits to use HWRC sites.


Find out about safely removing asbestos from your home.

Book an asbestos collection from your home.

Asbestos from your household can be taken to Hazel Court HWRC for a charge. Find out more about how to do this at Hazel Court.

We cannot accept asbestos from traders. If a tradesperson has removed the asbestos on your behalf,they are responsible for its safe disposal at an appropriate site. Please contact the Environment Agency to find local disposal facilities.

Chemical Disposal

Towthorpe and Hazel Court have disposal facilities for the following materials:

  • household chemicals
  • paint

We cannot accept the following:

  • petrol
  • diesel
  • farming chemicals
  • industrial chemicals

If you are unsure about the items for disposal please contact us to discuss before visiting the site.

Gas canisters/fire extinguishers

There is a charge to dispose of these items at the HWRCs. Find out more about the charges to dispose of these items.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page