Single Occupancy Discount for council tax

You may be able to get a 25% discount on your council tax bill if you are the only adult living in a property.

  • An adult is a person aged 18 or over, who may be eligible if the property is their main residence and where they keep the majority of their possessions
  • In the case of couples the 'marital home' would be considered to be the sole or main residence even if one of the partners lives or works elsewhere, and therefore Single Occupancy Discount would not be available
  • Second (or further additional) homes are not eligible for Single Occupancy Discount

To qualify for a discount you must already have registered with us to let us know that you reside in York area.

If you have not yet told us about a change of address you can tell us about a move within the York area in order to register with us and apply for the discount at the same time.

If you are already registered you should complete the Single Occupancy Discount form.

Apply for Single Occupancy Discount

To complete this form you will need:

  • the address and the postcode of the relevant property
  • the date you became the sole occupant
  • your phone number or email address

Cancel Single Occupancy Discount

If you no longer qualify for a Single Occupancy Discount you must tell us as soon as possible. You can cancel your Single Occupancy Discount by using the online form below.

Please only use this form if the change will occur in less than 4 weeks time, or if it has already occurred within the last 3 months.

Cancel Single Occupancy Discount

To complete this form you will need:

  • your full name and the address of the property for which council tax is paid
  • your contact telephone number and email address
  • the date you ceased to be the only person over 18 living at the property
  • if you wish to set up a direct debit you will need your bank details
  • your council tax reference number (starts with 88)

Your account reference number is shown at the top right hand side of your council tax bill. If you no longer have this you can request a copy bill online.

If someone over the age of 18 has moved into the property with you, you will no longer qualify for Single Occupancy Discount. If you wish to become jointly liable for council tax, please use the move within York area form to provide details of all parties who you want to be named on your new bill.

People who are exempt

Some people are exempt from council tax but may live with someone who does have to pay. People who are exempt include:

If you live with any of these people you won't qualify for Single Occupancy Discount but may still qualify for a 25% discount. Please contact the Council Tax Team to tell us if this is the case.

Single Occupancy Discount reviews

We undertake checks to make sure our council tax records are up to date by carrying out regular Single Occupancy Discount Reviews.

Also see

Comment on this page
Back to the top of the page