If you're a full-time student living in a property in York, you can apply online for student discount or exemption.
Student exemption start date
In most cases, we offer students a council tax exemption from their tenancy start date, which may differ from the actual 'move in' date or course start date.
To claim a student exemption from your tenancy start date, use your tenancy start date as your 'move in' date and your course start date.
- the property must only be occupied by qualifying students
- we can extend your student exemption for a maximum of 6 weeks
Note: You can use your actual 'move in' date and course start dates if you don't wish to maximise your exemption. We'll issue you with a bill for this period before your course begins.
apply online for student discount or exemption
To complete this form you'll need the:
- property address including postcode
- landlord/letting agent name and phone number/email address
- landlord/letting agent contact address
- name, date of birth and phone/email address for all occupants of the property
- name of educational establishment for each student occupant
- course title, start date and end date for each student occupant
- unique student ID provided by your college or university for each student occupant ('student matriculation number')
- tenancy start date for each occupant
- previous address for each occupant, if in the York area
Instead, you can download a student council tax exemption and discount application form and return it to our Council Tax Team.
Processing your student exemption application
We begin the student council tax discount and exemption process as soon as we receive your application.
- for a property to be fully exempt, each student in the house must be registered for council tax and apply for student exemption
- we cannot take details of a 'move in' to your new property more than 14 days in advance
- our online and paper forms allow space for all occupants at the property, so separate forms are not needed
- we prefer one application per property - information arriving separately can complicate and slow down the process
- you must inform us of a change of circumstances if you've applied for, or are receiving a student discount or exemption
Confirmation of student status
The way we confirm your student status depends on where you study.
Studying in York
The following institutions supply us with a list of enrolled students:
We carry out eligibility checks every November, and check your details against our lists.
We'll let you know if we need any further information.
Student not appearing on our student lists
If your name doesn't appear on our student lists, we'll issue an adjustment notice advising that a charge is due.
If you contact us to advise us you're not included on the student lists, you'll need to prove your student status by supplying a copy of your student exemption certificate.
Exemption certificates are available from your academic registrar, or via your e:Vision account if studying at University of York or York St John University:
Studying outside York
You can still apply online for student discount or exemption if you're a full-time student living in York, but studying at a college or university outside York.
You must also provide a student exemption certificate (available from your place of study) for us to process your application.
Return this to our Council Tax Team, ensuring you include your address or council tax payment reference number.
Properties occupied by both students and non-students
If a property is occupied only by full-time students, we can apply a full exemption.
Properties occupied by a mix of students and non-students may still be eligible for a discount, depending on circumstances.
- we're not able to apply any student discount until November (when we receive our student lists)
- you must keep paying your Council Tax bill as normal until we apply any discount
- failure to pay your Council Tax bill will result in recovery action
- you can speed up the process by sending us a copy of your student exemption certificate after completing your online application
- Student council tax discount and exemption process
- Council tax discounts and exemptions for foreign students
- Council tax discounts and exemptions
Council Tax appointments
To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.