If you're a foreign student living in York and you are not living with any family members, you can apply for a student council tax discount or exemption.
To be able to qualify for the council tax student exemption you must be a full-time student.
Students living with family members
If you're a full-time student and your spouse or partner is joining you, then an exemption may still apply if:
- your partner's visa states that they have no recourse to public funding
- your children are under 18 years old
If you live with family members you can still apply for a student council tax discount or exemption.
You will then need to send or email a copy of your spouse or partner’s passport, showing their visa, to:
The Council Tax Team
City of York Council
- Apply for a student council tax discount or exemption
- Student council tax discount and exemption process
- Student council tax change of circumstances
- Council tax discounts and exemptions
Council Tax appointments
To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.