Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Council tax

Council tax discounts and exemptions for foreign students

If you're a foreign student living in York and you are not living with any family members, you can apply for a student council tax discount or exemption.

To be able to qualify for the council tax student exemption you must be a full-time student.

Students living with family members

If you're a full-time student and your spouse or partner is joining you, then an exemption may still apply if:

  • your partner's visa states that they have no recourse to public funding
  • your children are under 18 years old

If you live with family members you can still apply for a student council tax discount or exemption.

You will then need to send or email a copy of your spouse or partner’s passport, showing their visa, to:

The Council Tax Team
City of York Council
West Offices
Station Rise


Also see

Council Tax appointments

To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.

Make an appointment

Council Tax

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551558