Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website
Council tax

Student council tax change of circumstances

If you have applied for, or are receiving a student discount or exemption you must inform us if you have a change of circumstances.

Some changes of circumstances may mean that we're not applying a discount or exemption on the correct basis.

Some changes will mean that you become liable to pay council tax.

  • you may have changed your address
  • there may be different occupants living in your property
  • the student status of other occupants at your address may have changed

Renewing council tax exemption

You need to apply for council tax exemption every year, even if you had the exemption confirmed in a previous year.

We may not continue to apply your exemption automatically, even if your circumstances have not changed.

Between courses

Students only qualify for exemption whilst registered as undertaking studies,

Any periods between different courses of study do not qualify and you will need to pay your council tax.

End of study

If you plan to remain at an address in York after you stop being a student you will need to start paying your council tax.

If you're no longer a student contact the Council Tax Team with the date your studies ended and provide confirmation from your course provider.

Moving house

You need to notify us as soon as possible if you move:

  • any incoming students must complete a move in to York area form and register for student exemption
  • any students moving within York need to complete a move within York area form and register for student exemption at the new address
  • any students moving out of York need to complete a move out of York area form

Also see

Council Tax appointments

To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.

Make an appointment

Council Tax

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

Telephone: 01904 551558

Sign language interpreting service

If you use British Sign Language (BSL) you can access our BSL interpreting service when visiting West Offices, and when contacting us remotely.

BSL Interpreting Service