Use this form to tell us if you're:
- moving into York from another area
- moving within York but weren't responsible for council tax at your last property - for example, if you lived with your parents
Use this form up to 2 weeks in advance of your moving date, but not earlier.
To complete this form you'll need:
- the address and the postcode of your new property
- the address and the postcode you are moving from
- landlord or agent details (if renting)
- previous owner or solicitor details (if buying)
- your phone number or email address
New build properties
Some properties, particularly new builds, may not be registered on our system or have a council tax valuation band assigned.
When dealing with a move into a property that isn’t registered on our systems, you can still use our standard form to advise of a change in occupancy. We'll process the form and add the property to our systems as well as registering it with the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) for banding.
The VOA will then band the property and confirmation will be sent in writing to you and to ourselves.
Once the property is banded, a bill will be processed and posted to the bill payer.
Council Tax appointments
To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.