When you change your address we will need to update your council tax account if you are moving into, or out of, a property within the City of York Council area.

You can tell us up to 2 weeks in advance of your moving date, but not earlier.

Moving to another property in the area

The moving within the area form should be used if:

  • you are moving from one York address to another
  • you are responsible for council tax

Moving into the area

The moving into the area form should be used if:

  • you are moving into York from another area
  • you were not responsible for council tax at a previous address in York

Moving out of the area

The moving out of the area form should be used if:

  • you are moving out of York to another area
  • you will no longer be responsible for council tax at a new address in York

Landlords and letting agents

The change of tenancy form should be used if:

  • you are a landlord or letting agent
  • you are advising us of changes in tenants or occupants
  • you have already provided your contact details to the Council Tax Team

New build properties

Some properties, particularly new builds, may not be registered on our system or have a council tax valuation band assigned, see Council tax charges and bands.

When dealing with a move into a property that isn’t registered on our systems, you can still use our standard form to advise of a change in occupancy. We will process the form and add the property to our systems as well as registering it with the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) for banding.

The VOA will then band the property and confirmation will be sent in writing to you and to ourselves.

Once the property is banded, a bill will be processed and posted to the bill payer.

Also see

Comment on this page