When you change your address we'll need to update your council tax account if you're moving into, or out of, a property within the City of York Council area.
You can tell us up to 2 weeks in advance of your moving date, but not earlier.
Moving to another property in the area
The moving within the area form should be used if:
- you're moving from one York address to another
- you're responsible for council tax
Moving into the area
The moving into the area form should be used if:
- you're moving into York from another area
- you weren't responsible for council tax at a previous address in York
Moving out of the area
The moving out of the area form should be used if:
- you're moving out of York to another area
- you will no longer be responsible for council tax at a new address in York
Landlords and letting agents
The change of tenancy form should be used if:
- you're a landlord or letting agent
- you're advising us of changes in tenants or occupants
- you've already provided your contact details to the Council Tax Team
New build properties
Some properties, particularly new builds, may not be registered on our system or have a council tax valuation band assigned, see Council tax charges and bands.
When dealing with a move into a property that isn’t registered on our systems, you can still use our standard form to advise of a change in occupancy. We'll process the form and add the property to our systems as well as registering it with the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) for banding.
The VOA will then band the property and confirmation will be sent in writing to you and to ourselves.
Once the property is banded, a bill will be processed and posted to the bill payer.
Council Tax appointments
To get council tax advice in person at West Offices, you need to make an appointment.